Thursday, October 09, 2008

Which Pumpkin?

Not all pumpkins were created the same. The big guys are great for carving and roasted seeds, but did you know that they aren't the best for cooking? Take a look:

Making Pumpkin Puree
The little guys are sugar pumpkins. These are the ones you want to get the best pies. They are more dense, less stringy and smoother than larger pumpkins.


Making Pumpkin Puree

It's very simple to do. Cut the pumpkins in half and remove the seeds and extra "gunk".


Making Pumpkin PureeOnce the gunk is gone, set them, cut side down, on a parchment lined tray and pop into the oven at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Those really little guys were for the Pecan Pies in Pumpkin Shells that I did for Short Order Mom.


Roasted Pumpkins for Puree The softened pumpkins.


Making Pumpkin Puree Once they are cool enough to handle, start scooping the meat out with a spoon. Make sure to get it all!


Making Pumpkin Puree

Mere shells of their former selves.


Making Pumpkin Puree Pulp ready for the blender. Just pop it into the blender and puree until smooth.


Pumpkin Puree
Perfect Pumpkin Puree!

9 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

You are good! I have made pie with fresh pumpkin before but usually pop it right out of the can. There is something about cutting and scooping out the seeds that I just don't like.

MotherToMany said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to know how to make pumpkin pie fresh from the pumpkin.

Thank you for this! I am going to add it to my recipe blog too!

kat said...

Nice tutorial, I've been wanting to do this myself

giz said...

I looked at the sugar pumpkins...yes, no, yes, no - bought a can of puree and now I'm sorry. It's really not a big deal is it? But, where's my pie? It's our Thanksgiving this weekend.

Anne Coleman said...

Lisa - me, too. The small guys have so few seeds and no gelatinous goop- so I don't mind so much.

MTM- You're sure welcome!

kat - I was really worth it, I thought. The taste was just better than canned.

Giz- You know I'd send one! How was your day?

Anonymous said...

well this looks so yummy

NH Yocal said...

I never knew this is how it was done. So cool. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm in Italy and so we don't have the canned stuff. For that matter we don't have pumpkins either, just squash, but it always comes out great. Since we use squash we usually clean it first and then steam it instead of baking.
Nice pictures!

Lisa M. Martin said...

Great site! Our pumpkins are in the oven right now. :)