Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday Breakfast - Royal Foodie Joust Entry


This month's RFJ ingredients seemed to throw several of us for a loop. They are: acorn squash, sage and orange. My first attempt at a submission was truly horrid. I made a dessert acorn squash stuffed ravioli with an orange/sage relish. I actually gagged at first bite. Something about the flavors put together that way just didn't work, but I refused to give up.

This morning I made an excellent breakfast of acorn squash pancakes and chicken sausage with a maple-orange glaze. It was truly delicious!

Acorn Squash Pancakes
Printable Recipe

2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon each powdered ginger and cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed or pureed acorn squash
2 eggs
1/2 to 1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine squash, eggs, and vanilla and blend well. Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Add flour mixture to squash mixture alternately with milk until a loose batter forms. Drop by 1/4 cup onto a hot griddle and cook until bubbles form on the top and the edges are dry. Flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Chicken Sausage with Maple-Orange Glaze
Printable Recipe

1 pound ground chicken
1 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all and blend well. Form into small balls or patties and fry until golden. Add the juice of one orange, 1/2 teaspoon orange zest and 1/3 cup maple syrup. Simmer for several minutes and make sure all sausages are coated well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne that sounds like one serious breakfast. It also looks very good.

Also, thanks for not posting the acorn squash stuffed ravioli..doesn't sound like it was very appetizing.

Anonymous said...

yummy...look so delicious..it's make me so passion it to taste...

Anonymous said...

You're really cute
Awesome blog,

kat said...

what a great entry! a really unusual thought making a breakfast

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

Annie, This is very original! The pancakes made my mouth water. The chicken sausage gave my brain total confusion. I never heard of this dish, but staying open minded, I will let it sink in to my little gray cells.

Have a wonderful week off.

Unknown said...

Yum, I am glad that you are thinking outside of the box. I have a whole garden full of pumpkins and looked up squash blossoms. That is how I found you, however, when the pumpkins ripen, I am going to try these pancakes. Thanks, Mariah