Saturday, October 04, 2008

Accidental Soup

If you cook like I do, you know exactly what "Accidental Soup" is. If not, let me enlighten you. Accidental Soup is one of those perfect soup moments created by 'throwing things together' from whatever is on-hand. The soup you wish you'd written a recipe for so you can re-create it.

I made one of those soups yesterday and, as usual, I didn't write anything down. I'll try to pass on what transpired, though and maybe you can make this for yourself.

I had quite a few potatoes sitting around that I cooked at the same time I cooked potatoes for the Sausage Pasty I posted. It's gotten so chilly here that it seemed the perfect time to use them up in potato soup. The combination of sausage and potato in the pasties was so good that I wanted to carry it on, so I made this potato/cheddar/sausage soup and everyone, even the pickiest eaters, loved it. I have to say, it was really good - I even had some for lunch today.

Potato, Sausage and Cheddar Soup
Printable Recipe

1 pound bulk sausage
5 large potatoes - cooked and diced
6 cups chicken stock or broth
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon dry thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground sage

Break up sausage and brown well in a large and heavy soup pot.
Add potatoes, stock, milk, thyme and sage. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 - 45 minutes; use the longer time for a thicker soup. Mash slightly with a potato masher if you like and add cheddar cheese. Remove from heat, stir well and serve.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally see how that would work. Sausage always adds so much flavor, but I think the addition of sage is probably what put your soup over the top. If it was a typical breakfast sausage, then the dominant spice would have been sage to begin with, so you would have added another layer which almost always works.
I remember an accidental soup I made once that used pork, fennel and orange. They just happened to be what I had on hand, but it sure was a great combo.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Good soups are ones thrown together at the last moment. This looks great.

kat said...

I love it when things come together like that!

Michele said...

My vegetable soup is always accidental. I just open the veggie bins and go to town. I don't think that I ever make it the same way twice. Your soup sounds like the perfect thing for a crisp Fall evening.

Annie Jones said...

I'll be trying your soup soon. On purpose.