Saturday, October 18, 2008

Easy Eggplant Parmigiana

I love eggplant in any form - especially parmigiana. I don't like the time it can take to make it, though - all that breading and frying, especially with all the people I have to feed each day (remember, it's 8 during the week and 9 on weekends), that can get really tedious. I also don't like the extra calories added with breading and frying, so I came up with this simpler method - much like the one I used for the Eggplant Mozzarella I posted at Short Order Mom. This one still uses breadcrumbs, but no egg and no oil.




The "secret" - eggplant diced small instead of sliced.



Sauté the diced eggplant in a small amount of olive oil until softened.

Layered into a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with oil.

Topped with breadcrumbs.

A layer of marinara.

Shredded Parmesan and Romano cheeses.

Sliced mozzarella on top of it all.


30 minutes in the oven and the result is perfection!
Easy Eggplant Parmigiana
Makes 1 9x13 pan

8 cups diced eggplant
1 Tablespoon salt
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cups marinara
2 cups breadcrumbs
1 cup shredded Parmesan and Romano cheeses
1/2 pound sliced mozzarella cheese
Place eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow to stand for 15 minutes so excess water can drip off of the eggplant. Squeeze between paper towels and sauté with olive oil until tender - about 10 minutes. Spray a 9x13 pan with oil and spread eggplant evenly over the bottom. Top with breadcrumbs, marinara, Parmesan and Romano cheeses and mozzarella. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes, or until the top is brown and bubbly.

15 comments:

Denise said...

Yum!!! I need to buy some eggplant!!!

Anonymous said...

nice Recipe

Ori said...

this looks yummy and easy. I'll safe the recipe :) thanks for sharing it

Unknown said...

This looks easier than breading and frying first!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love this method! I will try it.

Ranae said...

Yum! I made Eggplant Parmesan a week or so ago with eggplants from our garden. I add a layer of sliced tomato and mushrooms to mine.

I like this quicker method of yours. I will still add in sliced fresh tomatoes and mushrooms, but eliminating the egg will help my little guy who is allergic to them. He can't have the cheese either, but I can make a corner without that.

Anonymous said...

The Eggplant looks great!
I need to find someone to cook this.

Jess said...

This looks absolutely delicious. I'm going to make it next week! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow , eggplant it`s very good .

Anonymous said...

I have used this recipe and the result was outstanding! I'm making it again tonight. Thank you for sharing your tips and secrets.

Anonymous said...

Terrific recipe-doubled it and took it to a potluck-big success!!

Anne Coleman said...

Ahnan and Anon (sorry for the rhyme) Thanks so much for letting me know! It's always good to know that someone else likes your recipe.

Anonymous said...

The entire family loved it. I wasn't sure what my son would think even though he eats more vegetables than I do. The breadcrumb part is left off the written instructions. It is on the picture part. I studied this and thought of it all day before I made it lol It was sure worth it. But I would hate for others to miss out on the breadcrumb part if they just look at the written.

The Estrogen Files said...

Mm mm mmmmmm! I got an eggplant in my Bountiful Basket today and have been craving this recipe all day since! I will make this and since I only have one eggplant, I will throw in mushrooms and maybe treat a zucchini the same way as the eggplant.

Pregnant and hungry! Great combo.

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know I made this last night and it was a huge hit with the majority of my family. (Some little tastebuds need to expand still. :) Thanks for sharing!