Friday, October 10, 2008

Scrapple


The Great Gray Lump


Scrapple is made from exactly what one would expect: scraps. Its name is quite fitting then, no? It's one of those foods made from offal meats - the extras like innards and scraps left over from meat processing; something done quite often in leaner times and then carried over as tradition. Who knows, with the way things are going these days, we may be back to using every last piece of everything to make ends meet.

Mixed with seasonings and cornmeal, it's a type of meat pudding that is very commonly eaten here in Pennsylvania - especially for breakfast.

This is a very traditional recipe and not the way store bought scrapple is made any longer. If you want authentic, though - this is the way to go ... if you dare.

Scrapple
Printable Recipe

1 hog's head
Salt & pepper
Corn meal, yellow
Water
1 teaspoon sage, powdered

Separate one hog's head into halves. Take out the eyes and brains.
Scrape and thoroughly clean the head.

Put into a large kettle and cover with 4 or 5 quarts of cold water.

Simmer gently for 2 or 3 hours, or until the meat falls from the bones.

Skim off grease carefully from the surface; remove meat, chop fine and return to the liquor.

Season with salt & pepper to taste and 1 tsp sage.

Sift in granulated yellow corn meal, stirring constantly, until the mixture
is thickened to the consistency of soft mush.

Cook slowly for 1 hour, watching carefully as it scorches easily.

When sufficiently cooked, pour into greased oblong tins and store in a cool place until ready
to use.

Cut in thin slices and fry in hot fat until crisp and brown.

Source: Pennsylvania Dutch Cook Book - Fine Old Recipes, Culinary Arts Press, 1936.

8 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Since I live near Philly, many of my friends love scrapple. I am not so fond of it. Where do you get a hog's head?

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of scrapple. When I lived in upstate New York, I always had any PA visitors bring me some.

However, I don't like to think about what it's made from. I prefer to think it comes in a red and white package - from the grocery.

Cas
But it is soooo good.

Annie Jones said...

I cheat and make it with cooked pork breakfast sausage. It's really very good!

kat said...

Have you seen the Ace of Cakes episode where they do an Iron Chef take off & the ingredient is scrapple? They also make a Scrapple cake

Blah Society said...

Kat, I saw that episode.

All I have to say about scrapple is...

yuck!

Anne Coleman said...

Lisa - I didn't know we lived near eachother!

Cas - I would send home for Lebanon bologna, but I'm not so sure about scrapple. I do like it, though!

Annie, I bet that's good stuff.

Kat and AJ - I have no idea how I missed that one! I love AoC!

Anonymous said...

i love scrapple

Deborah Dowd said...

I love scrapple and have made it from scratch, though I did not use a hog's head!! Try it with a little apple butter on the side- a delight!