Thursday, October 02, 2008

What's in the Bag?



That's a big bag.




That's a LOT of apples!





One of the perfect pies that were made.



Anne's Apple Pie
Not Mom's, but still good.
Printable Recipe

1 recipe double crust pie dough
5-6 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced

Mix together:

1/2 c sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I really prefer freshly grated)

1-2 Tablespoons flour

Place bottom pie crust into a 9" pie pan and sprinkle evenly with the flour. Put half of the apples in the pan and sprinkle with half of the sugar and spice mixture. Top with remaining apples and sugar. Top with crust, crimp edges and vent-I like to use a small star shaped cookie cutter and then replace the cut out dough offset slightly on top of the opening

Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes until apples are soft and crust is golden brown.

Double Crust Pie Dough

3 c flour
1 c shortening
salt-I use about 1/2 teaspoon
6-7 Tablespoons ice water
Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until it resembles coarse meal or small peas. Add water a tablespoon at a time until dough forms well. Let stand 10 minutes under an overturned bowl before rolling to desired thickness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm ready for a nice piece of apple pie - with ice cream on the side. Your pie looks delicious. And your recipe is very similar to mine.

Cas
And your two children are very cute. Did they help?

kat said...

I'm just dying to go get apples this weekend, though I don't think I'll make anything half as pretty as that pie!

Michele said...

Today is such an apple kind of day! I'm baking my Gran's apple cake. Then I saw your pie...now I wish I would have done a pie instead! What kind of apples did you get?

Anonymous said...

Apple pie.

So simple, but yet so good!