Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Veggie Wednesday: Hummus and Tomato Melt


Hummus and Tomato Melt
Hummus and Tomato Melt

We all have things we eat that we love but are for some reason afraid to share. Maybe people will think it's 'weird' or maybe it's just too simple to be thought of as something that anyone else would eat. This is one of those things, and I'm not sure why I haven't shared it. I'll give in and share this time.

I have these often for lunch or a late breakfast. More often than not I use plum tomatoes and the hummus and cheese varies. This was today's breakfast (shared with two small noseminers).

Hummus and Tomato Melt
Printable Recipe

1 whole wheat pita or flatbread
2 Tablespoons roasted red pepper hummus
3 slices ripe tomato
2 Tablespoons shredded Monterey jack/Colby blend cheese
Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning

Spread the pita or flatbread with hummus, top with tomatoes, sprinkle with cheese and add Mrs. Dash to taste. Heat in the microwave until cheese is melted - my microwave takes 1 minute to do this.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heaven on earth! Yum!

Laurie said...

My favorite ingredients all in one place! I have those on hand, too, and will try it for lunch!

Thanks!

~Laurie

Annie Jones said...

I'd eat that. Oh yes, I would.

Blah Society said...

I've never tried hummus - what's it like? (generally speaking)

Natasha said...

Damn, I want this now! Might have to make it straight away! don't have pita bread, but tortillas will have to do.

Peter M said...

Annie.....I love this idea...there's always a bit of hummus left...now you see it - now you don't!

Anonymous said...

haha i found this by googling "pita tomato hummus cheese melt"... i was craving it and was wondering if i was crazy for thinking of it.
looks delicious! will try it right this second.