Sunday, June 08, 2008

My Favorite Food Magazine

I read a lot of food and cooking magazines and while I like many of them, I truly love Saveur. Here are just a few of the reasons why:


1. They vindicate me and strip away my guilt;

I can now proudly say that I have been washing mushrooms for years.

I no longer feel like a lazy git for being happy about my Christmas gift of an Electric Carving Knife ('First' article by Dana Bowen).


2. Their photos make me want to dive into the page and eat through to the other side.


3. They scour the planet to come up with the most unusual out-of-the-way wonders ever.


4. The cookbook reviews have caused me to buy several new books; this can be seen as good or bad, depending on my fiscal situation at the time.


5. The recipes. I don't even know where to start. You must go and have a look for yourself. From the familiar to the obscure, and everything in-between.


6. There is no fear in sharing recipes that use lard, publishing an entire issue about pasta, steak or butter, or revealing regional snacks that may not be very good for you, but are too good not to share.


7. The Saveur 100 issues.


They are a magazine after my very heart. There isn't one article I don't read, and each captivates me and takes me somewhere new or calls to me with a familiarity that feels like a well-worn and much-loved blanket. If I'm not learning from the pages within, I'm nodding in agreement and astounded that there are others alive that think about food the way I do. I'll never stop reading.

1 comment:

Jill@SimpleDailyRecipes.com said...

I think I NEED this magazine!

Since we're bloggers, you think I can write it off as an education expense on my taxes?