Thursday, June 19, 2008

Taffy Apple Cheesecake Pie

Taffy Apple Cheesecake Pie


This was a winning recipe in the Pillsbury 36th Annual Bake-Off of 1994 made by Mary Ann Sasso of Franklin Park, Illinois. I made it way back then and several times since. I don't do it too often because it is rather time-consuming for a pie and there are a lot of ingredients. I wanted to post it anyway with photos so that maybe someone else will see it as not-too-difficult and give it a try.



Melting butter with brown sugar - my kind of multi-tasking.


Adding sliced apples.

Apples cooked until tender and slightly caramelized.
Cream cheese and brown sugar.

Half of the caramel mixture added to the cream cheese mixture.
Half of the caramel mixture added to the apples.
Pecans and chocolate chips. I know the recipe calls for 'finely chopped chocolate chips', but to me that's like trying to stab a Super-ball without holding it down.
Apples in the pie crust.
Topped with chocolate chips and pecans.
Topped with cream cheese mixture before sending off to the oven.


'Decorated'.

Taffy-Apple Cheesecake Pie
Serves 8-10
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

Filling:

2 tablespoons butter, or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar, light, firmly packed
4 medium apples, cored, thinly sliced, about 5 cups
21 caramels, unwrapped
1/4 cup cream, half and half
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, light, firmly packed
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 egg

Crust
Single pie crust


Topping:
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, finely chopped
3/4 cup pecans, finely chopped

Garnish:
8 ounces whipped topping
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice


Directions:

In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar stirring constantly.

Add apples; cook and stir 12 to 15 minutes or until apples are
caramel in color and tender.

Set aside.

Drain if necessary.

In top of double boiler or in medium heavy saucepan over low
heat, melt caramels with half-and-half until mixture is smooth,
stirring frequently.

Keep warm.

In small bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup brown sugar
until light and fluffy.

Add 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and egg; beat
until blended.

Prepare pie crust according to package directions for one-
crust filled pie using 10-inch deep dish pie pan or 9-inch
springform pan (refrigerate remaining crust for a later use).

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Fold half of caramel mixture into cream cheese mixture.

Add apple mixture to remaining caramel mixture; mix well.

Spoon apple caramel mixture into crust-lined pan.

In small bowl, combine topping ingredients; reserve 2
tablespoons mixture.

Sprinkle remaining mixture over apple mixture.

Top with caramel cream cheese mixture, Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes or until deep golden brown and filling is set.

Cool completely.

Refrigerate 30 minutes or until cold.

Fold 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice into whipped topping.

Pipe or spoon mixture onto pie; sprinkle with reserved 2
tablespoons topping.

Store in refrigerator.

Tip: to prepare caramel filling in microwave, in small microwave
-safe bowl, combine caramels and half-and-half.

Microwave on HIGH for 1 1/2 to 2 minute stirring once halfway
through cooking.

Stir until smooth.

10 comments:

Annie Jones said...

My husband won't eat anything even vaguely resembling caramel. That means there'll be more for me. :)

Don't even think about apologizing; I have some of that Aldi whipped topping in my fridge right now.

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious. And you broke it down into clear steps, so anyone could bake it. I might just give it a try.

Deborah Dowd said...

This looks terrific and I can think of a lot of ways to to play with(how about ginger snap crumbs as a crust)! Thanks for sharing, and the great step by step pictures!

Anonymous said...

wow! that looks delicious and your pie crust looks so lovely...

Something I really adore about your site is how easy you make things seem - I get a lot of inspiration from your techniques that I carry over into other recipes.

I am still in awe of the things you can encourage a lasagna noodle to aspire to :)

yum!

Happy Solstice and first day of SUMMER.......

Melanie said...

Ooooooooooo! Whoops! Sorry about my drool.

I'm TRYING to lose weight here!

Unknown said...

Looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Looks hard, but I bet it would be worth it!

Anne Coleman said...

I so wish this had been my own recipe! It does inspire me to think outside the box, though. Glad you all like it!

La Madame Chapeau said...

Omg! :D

I'll soon be lost in this blog! Apples, caramel, and cheesecake which I all love :)))

Anonymous said...

Doesn't that look good? It's funny, I was craving apples recently so I made an apple tart w/ manchego and honey. And then I just made cheesecake pie (with ice cream). I should try your recipe to incorporate both cheesecake and apples.