Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Veggie Wednesday

I've been seeing stacked salads just about everywhere lately. They're a great way to serve single-portioned salads in a neat and different way. My version here is plum tomato, yellow crookneck squash and cucumber topped with a single black olive and drizzled with a garlic Balsamic vinaigrette. It was really yummy.

You can use almost any round veggie for this, and grilling them first adds a whole new dimension.

Pretty, isn't it?



By the way, that's a mint leaf on top. I adore mint and just posted a fabulous recipe for Mint Pesto over at Cookies to Caviar. Not a savory type, a dessert version that will knock your socks off!

14 comments:

shaz said...

yum!! I'll be trying this!

Thistlemoon said...

That looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It really is a work of art and looks delicious too! Might have to try that..

--Steve

Janet said...

Hi Anne - that looks really really good. I have to ask though, because I am curious.... did your kids eat that? If so, then you are my hero :-)

Anne Coleman said...

Thanks guys 'n' gals! Janet, 4 tried it (I only made one for the photo)and liked it and 2 looked and walked away lol The baby doesn't care ;O)

KFarmer said...

Looks lovely!

PS- I did the meme :)

Julie said...

That is just beautiful. You know it will be delicious but almost hate to ruin it by eating.

kamena said...

Oh my God, this is perfect!!
I can cook but I am not sure if I could arrange food like that!

Marion said...

Beautiful! My patience doesn't allow me to do things like this often, but this is really inspiring!

Anonymous said...

I saw a recipe for something like this just yesterday and bookmarked it to try. Yummy!

I am so impressed that you have seven children AND find time to do all of this great stuff. I need some tips from you!

Anne Coleman said...

You're all fabulous for posting such nice things! Really, this was one of the easiest things I've ever made.

I just sliced up the veggies and restacked them...like a puzzle.

Hey, round cheese is a nice addition, too--like mozzarella.

MC said...

Looks yummy!

I actually grea up in Bethlehem Twp. I am fairly new to Saylorsburg! Howdy, neighbor!!

Mary said...

Hi Anne,
wow, looks yummy!
I'm too into cooking and might want to check out what I'm cooking here
http://cook-italian-way.blogspot.com/
thanks, Mary

Adopted Son said...

MMM. Reminds me of a salad I had at Morton's Steak House in Atlanta, GA: Beefsteak Tomatoes, bermuda onion, and Mozzarella- with a Balsamic drizzel and chopped basil. It, too, was to die for. Can't wait to try your variation here. LOOKS FAB, too!