Monday, May 07, 2007

Tastes Like the Real Stuff

You know how everyone seems to want homemade--but they want homemade to taste like store-bought? And you know how store-bought is what they refer to as "real"? Yeah, my family is like that too.

We've been buying bottled green tea from the store and last night when I made pizza I decided to try making my own iced green tea. Guess what? It tastes just like the store-bought stuff. Go me!

Give it a try.

Iced Green Tea


6 bags of green tea
1 cup of honey or sugar
1/4 c lemon juice
2 cups boiling water

Combine everything in a one gallon pitcher and let steep for at least 5 minutes, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
Add cold water to the top and remove tea bags. Add ice or pour over ice in glasses.

***************************************
Ready, Set, Cook! submissions and links need to be in for tomorrow! If you haven't played yet, now is your chance! Check out this week's game.

11 comments:

kbabe1968 said...

Your brother drinks Iced Tea like it grows on trees! LOL :D Oh wait, is it trees or bushes!!! I've just started adding green tea to the mix...half and half! No sugar though, we're purists with our iced tea here. MAYBE we mix with lemonade to make an Arnold Palmer, but usually it's straight up! :D

P.S. I'm reading! :D

Truth said...

That is so funny! I know exactly what you mean about homemade tasting exactly like the storebought and it being perfect, lol. I will have to try this!

Laurie said...

Thanks for the recipe! I love iced tea and am always looking for something new. I'll probably only use half that sugar, though!

I like to make iced tea with two family sized tea bags and one regular mint tea bag. Sweeten with sugar and it makes a nice *minty* tea.

KFarmer said...

I like it hot by the cup and when I worked it was a 10 am thing... Maybe I should start the trend at home now :) Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

The Iced Tea is perfect since summer is slowly encroaching.

Yeah I do noticed it that some people want their homemade food tastes like the ones on the restos and sometimes food we bought outside tastes like homemade

Mommy's Getaway said...

That sounds tasty...Do you have a good iced chai tea recipe? Some of the Chai teas that I have tried recently don't taste quite right - too heavy on one spice I think. Any suggestions?

Oh and I highly suggest adding a few leaves of Chocolate Mint to your iced tea - WOWSER!

Anne Coleman said...

Mommy, I LOVE all the various mints out there. I almost snagged a chocolate mint plant last year when buying my usual spring plants, but some lady snatched the last one out from under my nose! Imagine.

I have mint growing in the yard and just today picked some for tea. I'm getting that chocolate mint this year, though!

Chai....I could do a whole post on that-I'll get back to you!

stevespeirs said...

Hi Anne,

Do you think this would work with mint tea bags instead of green tea bags? I'm another lover of mint tea and think this would be a really refreshing summer drink....

Thoughts?

--steve

Anne Coleman said...

Steve, this was a variation on regular iced tea. I make this with any type of tea bags I have! You're good to go with whatever you like!

Anonymous said...

...and it worked like a charm:

http://www.cymru66.com/recipes/iced-mint-tea-recipe/

Thanks for tip and the original recipe!

--Steve

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne!
I bookmarked this recipe a while ago and finally made some this weekend....soo good! I am making a big batch for our July 4th party. Thanks!