Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Almost Gone


I don't know where everyone else lives, but here in the Lehigh Valley, summer is most definitely winding down. The nights are cooler, the days more temperate, and the green is beginning to fade.

My harvest is nearly over. I have very few small tomatoes left, no cucumbers and the last zucchini was picked yesterday. There are a very small patches of green beans, but no more flowers to indicate that more are on the way.

My neighbor (who shall remain nameless) brought me a bag filled with pilfered produce. She isn't really a criminal - in fact, she was more of a savior in this instance. There is a nearby church with a rather large garden that seems to be forgotten year after year. The cabbage that grows there is always harvested, but the tomatoes and peppers are left to over ripen and wind up as projectiles for small boy-hands in the neighborhood.

This time the tomatoes and peppers were rescued and sent to a loving (and hungry) home. I'm quite glad that they were orphaned; we're happy to have them for dinner.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a few more maters sitting on my kitchen window sill and that's about it. :(

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious! My boss had a 'cardiac event' this spring so work kept me too busy to garden this summer. That photo inspires me to make sure that doesn't happen next year.

Blah Society said...

Summer winding down is not always a bad thing... we'll be graces with some apples and other fruits soon!

Anonymous said...

Our summer ended in June this year!
Your photo's are inspiring though.
Gives me hope for next year.

Anonymous said...

Not just a criminal, but one who steals from a church! ;) No. It sounds like she's doing the right thing and they do look so delicious!

Deborah Dowd said...

Freelance work along with my regular job left time only for herbs, so I am relegated to the farmer's market and the kindness of friends and neighbors who have bumper crops.

KFarmer said...

My garden has been ooc for about three weeks~

And as far as I'm concerned, there is no sense in wasting. That is SIN. Enjoy the produce :)