Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Veggie Wednesday: Grow Your Own IV

Part four! Yes, I'm going to continue this until I can effectively convince at least one person to attempt to grow his or her own veggies. I mean really, this is definitely one of those, 'if I can do it, you can do it' deals.

I'm no farmer Brown, and yet I've managed to grow my own vegetables and herbs in a very small plot for 5 years (non-consecutive). I've done it completely organically, as well, and I am of the mind that anyone can achieve the same.

I don't get bumper crops, but I do get enough to extend our food stores for several months in the summer, and that's good enough for me. Everyone should grow some type of food whether it's in a container, the ground or hydroponically. If we all did it, there would be quite an impact on our not-so-happy-at-the-moment earth.

So, here's what is going on in my backyard:


Lovely mint. It grows all by itself with very little need for me at all. I make the most killer Mint Pesto from this and dunk it in almost everything I drink.


A zucchini flower...
...and another. Beautiful.
Flowering cucumber vines - and dirt under my nails! It's actually one of my favorite things.


Remember those week-old bean plants? Look at them now! Flowers galore means beans galore.

Our lettuce is all eaten up - by us! It made a delicious salad. The radishes didn't fare so well. I hadn't turned over the ground deep enough and they didn't get very big. Live and learn; I'll definitely try them again next year.

Now, stop sitting in front of that computer and go out and grow something!

4 comments:

Blah Society said...

I usually grow my own basil each year, but I forgot to plant it this year. I wonder if it's worth giving it a shot.

Veronica said...

The only thing I can grow are some herbs in pots-how I wish I could grow tomatoes! We have so many moles in our yard I would just be gardening to feed the rodents.

giz said...

Don't you just love the way mint kind of takes over....and comes back every year like clockwork. I have herbs a plenty in my yard - now all I need is some nice bottles to make herb oils. That'll be my next project.

Anne Coleman said...

AJ-I would do it even if it's in a pot. I grow year-round indoors when I have space!