Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Local Flavor - Part II



A couple Thursdays ago a few of the kids and I made our way across town to the Bethlehem Farmers' Market. I haven't been there very often since we moved from the South Side and I was pleased to find that it was still there. The venue has changed, it used to be held in a large parking lot and now is set up at Campus Square at Lehigh University.

I was very happy to find that Suyundalla Farms was still there. They were one of the first vendors at the market and are the only surviving original vendor. Kudos! They still sell some of the finest produce and have branched out into selling fresh lamb products.

Our first stop was their stand and these are a few of their wares:

Garlic scapes

Snow peas

Beautiful red cherries

Napa cabbages

Cucumbers


We took home everything above, except for the Napa cabbage, and added some of their broccoli and fresh lamb sausages as well.

We stopped by Bechdolt's Orchard stand for fresh honey and then hit up The Flour Shop for a loaf of truly awesome semolina bread.



I could go on about that bread, but I've come to the conclusion that I need to do a full review of this bakery. If you live in the Lehigh Valley and haven't been there yet (the store is located at Macada Plaza - 2980 Linden Street ), you really need to stop by and pick up some baked goods. These guys know their stuff - trust me on that one.

So, here is what we ended up with:



Broccoli, cucumber, snow peas, garlic scapes, honey and semolina bread.


I threw the lamb sausages on the grill with the scapes, sauteed the broccoli and snow peas, sliced the bread, and we had a terrific meal that evening - well worth the just-over-3-mile-walk.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Anne, I nominated you for a blog award!

http://dandelionsandroses.blogspot.com/2008/07/birthday-surprise.html

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a great dinner. Enjoy!!

Cas
you walked? How nice.

kat said...

garlic scapes are pretty much gone for the season here it seems, I'm so jealous you got a bunch because they are soooo good!

Anonymous said...

Good job. Interesting site.
I like to cook very at home. Greetings from Poland.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to have a good farmers market with real food from real farmers! You're photos of the fresh vegetables look really lovely and delicious. Yum!