Saturday, May 03, 2008

Grow Your Own - II

I've already brought this subject up, but each year I feel like it needs to be reprised, and now more than ever it's important to grow your own food. The less we depend on food grown elsewhere and trucked or flown in, the better for us all.

I have a mere 48 square feet for vegetable gardening and I make the most out of it. The sense of accomplishment when harvesting something I've grown myself is awesome.

These are week-old green bean plants.



I love the little "dance" that chives do before continuing on their upward path.


Plants amaze me. I love watching them grow from seed. I grow nearly everything in my vegetable garden from seed and the flowers are a combination of plants, perennials and seeds. This year we're growing nasturtiums from seed and they are very different. Most seeds turn into the very first leaves of the plant. Nasturtiums grow roots from one point, and the plant itself comes from another point. The seed is simply the seed and never turns into leaves. It's very neat to see and if you get a chance to sprout a nasturtium you'll see what I mean.

So far we have about 80 plants ready to go into the ground as soon as the danger of frost has passed, which is May 15th here in PA. I'm excited to get out there and get my hands in the dirt; to make my morning rounds of the garden and see how the plants have grown overnight; to harvest the fruits of each. We have zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans, lettuce, basil, mint, chives, parsley, lavender and flowers, flowers, flowers!

How's your own garden coming along?

5 comments:

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

Now I know where to place my vegetable orders. In not too far away, in Maryland.

Ranae said...

I know what you mean about planting from seed. I have herbs outside (bought plants) for drying. I also have small inside containers (from seeds) for cooking fresh. The seeds have sprouted, and I'm not the only one getting excited about it.

What with the rising cost of food and even starter plants (noticed that this year), we are saving seeds and starting from seeds next year. I also plan on having some indoor tomatoes (starting some in pots late summer) so I can have them all year. I'll see how well that turns out.

Chef Erik said...

Great post! I love to grow many vegetables. Tomatoes being my favorite. I used to garden for a living, bpy do I miss that. I loved having my hands in the dirt and the satisfaction of growing vegetables. You should submit this to my Veg Head carnival :)

Whistle Britches said...

We moved to his house a year and a half ago. It was my wife's grandmothers house.
The backyard is hugecompared to the old house. There was an existing garden spot that I worked for hours getting ready and planting. Unfortunately about 75% of my work was in vain because the soil is bad and evidently has always been bad. This year I'm planting in raised beds so hopefully the harvest will be plentiful.
One of my biggest joys is sitting in the garden watching it grow.
Very therapeutic.

Anonymous said...

I just planted some herbs (parsley, basil and dill) and some garlic and onions. I can't wait until they are ready. Fresh (free) herbs are great.