Saturday, July 12, 2008

Fried Squash Blossoms

squash blossoms fried
Stuffed and Fried Squash Blossoms

I've been growing zucchini for several years now and I never really took the time to pay enough attention to determine which flowers were male and which were female. As a result I've missed out on many a fine dish of fried blossoms.

This year I went out and took photos as the buds, and then flowers, were growing and figured it out. Now I'm going to pass on this wealth of info to you - aren't you happy to have found my blog?

The male flowers are attached to longer and thin stems. It was fairly easy to figure this out once I took into account the fact that none of those stems was sturdy enough to support a growing zucchini. Then I found the zucchini that were growing and not only are the female flowers smaller, they are attached directly to the tip of the growing zucchini, which grow from the base of the plant.

So, there you have it. Leave the girls behind and pick the boys as soon as they open. Rinse them off, make sure there are no bugs inside and remove the stamens. Now they're ready to be used.



I mixed up a bowl of 4 ounces goat cheese with chives and 4 ounces cream cheese along with a tablespoon of snipped chive from the garden. I filled a decorating bag fitted with a large star tip with the goat cheese mixture and then piped it into the blossoms.



I closed up the petals and dipped into a loose batter before frying in a half inch of hot oil for several minutes on each side until golden brown.


Drain well and try to eat just one!

17 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I was going to ask you if you'd ever tried these when you posted the squash blossoms the other day.

I haven't tried them yet, but I want to!

giz said...

I love squash blossoms and seem to have a really hard time finding them. The last time I grew any type of squash I could have made a movie called "The Squash that Took Over Toronto"

La Madame Chapeau said...

Any dish of squash blossoms just smells Aegean sea where I'm in love with! Sooo familiar to me :)

By the way... You are
tagged
;)

Anonymous said...

Dear Anne!
Greetings!
Robert-Gilles from Shizuoka City, Japan.
A big thanks for commenting on my blog!
Zucchini flowers have been a European (and New World) passion for ages.
Even here in Japan they are becoming a regular feature in Italian and French restaurants.
I remember once eating them in Avignon stuffed with a paste made with chicken and mushrooms, then steamed and served with a mushroom cream sauce!
This kind of heaven is simply endless!
Cheers,
Robert-Gilles

Anonymous said...

Yes, I *am* glad to have found your blog. Lovely recipe. Thanks.

Just linked to you.
Cheers.


Sid

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I am happy that I found your blog. I've wondered if there was anything I could do with the blossoms from the squash in my garden. I'm a happy girl today, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

First time to your blog. You have really a very nice blog. And squash blossoms fry never tried this one before. but it looks yummy must have tasted good.

Anonymous said...

I love eating squash blossoms but hardly get the time to prepare the is dish.

Ed Tep said...

Anne - Oh wow, believe it or not, I just had these for the first time last week. Yours look just a delicious!

Jeni said...

These look fantastic! Making me wish I had a veggie garden!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious--I'm going to have to try this!

Anne Coleman said...

Everybody! These were SO GOOD. My 16 year-old keeps pointing out more blossoms to me in the hopes that I'll make them again.

Michele said...

Hi! I just came across your blog and found your recipe for fried zucchini which is funny b/c today I just posted a recipe for my grandmothers. Check it out when you have time. Ours are very different! :-)

Siren said...

thank you so much for posting the difference b/t female and male flowers. I would not want to compromise my vegetables!

Anonymous said...

I always wondered why some blossoms just fell off and did not produce a squash. Thanks for this recipe....I am a southern gentleman and had never heard of fried squash blossoms. I fixed some today and wow they were delicious.....no way I could only eat just one.

Tamara said...

Just wanted to let you know I posted a link on my gardening blog to this WONDERFUL recipe!!!
Hope you don't mind! Thanks!

Anne Coleman said...

Thank you, Tamara! You're fabulous :)