Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Daring Bakers' Challenge: Filbert Gateau with Praline Buttercream




This month's Daring Bakers' Challenge is hosted by Chris of Mele Cotte. Chris chose a Filbert Gateau with Praline Buttercream by Carol Walter from her book, Great Cakes. You can find the full recipe HERE at Chris's delicious blog.

This one just about wore me out, which means it was a terrific choice for The Daring Bakers! It was absolutely scrumptious. The best part was the leftover praline paste - I put it together with some chocolate chips and a little milk, melted it all together and, voila! - my own version of Nutella! The kids couldn't have been happier with that part.

Please check out the blogroll and see everyone else's wonderful versions of this delicious cake!

19 comments:

Laurie said...

Your Ganache looks so smoothe and delicious! Great job!

Thistlemoon said...

Way to go Anniepooh! Your cake looks great! What a great idea for the praline paste!

Cynthia's Blog said...

Good idea for the praline paste. I just ate mine and believe me it was okay that way too. Nice cake.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Your cake looks incredible!!! Great job on the challenge!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Veron said...

How lovely!!!

Anonymous said...

nice cake! that nutella idea sounds great, too :)

Barbara Bakes said...

Your cake looks delicious - the top is so smooth!

Odette said...

looks so yummy! nice cake ;)

Anonymous said...

Great job! This one wore me out too! And I had to make mine twice! The second time I was able to control the mess much better.

Tiffany said...

Good job! Your ganache looks fantastic! :)

Chris said...

Looks wonderful! Thanks for being a wonderful DBer!

Christine said...

Looks nice!

I, too, still have some leftover praline paste. I either will eat it straight, or figure out something! It's basically like a tricked out almond butter.

Christina ~ She Runs, She Eats

Dharm said...

Great Job Annie! The cake looks just great! I used all the paste in my cake...but I have a homemade Nutella recipe too on my blog if your interested!!

Dagmar said...

The cake looks great! Well done!

giz said...

Looking at the cake when it's in it's glorious beauty who would think it could have almost put you under. It was a great challenge and skinning those hazelnuts is not something I'm planning on doing anytime soon.

Brilliant idea with the leftover praline paste. You made a whole other meal.

Anonymous said...

Cool fun. Like me. Thanks.
I like to cook very at home. Greetings from Poland. ;)

Lauren said...

Mmm, your cake looks wonderful! The homemade Nutella sounds amazing as well!

Sphinx said...

Perhaps reading this blog whilst being totally ravenous isn't the best thing to do.
:P