Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday Dinner

On our table today:

Eye Round Roast with Herbs
Roasted Baby Potatoes and Carrots
Gravy
Green Leaf Lettuce Salad

Kentucky Butter Cake

**Whew! I barely got dinner done this week. We had a visit to Philadelphia on Thursday and after being sick all last week, Declan, our 8 year-old, woke up sick to his stomach today. I've been racing all day cleaning up and taking care of the non-sick kids in addition to Declan's illness. 

The roast is real simple - I seared it on all sides in olive oil in a large oven-proof pan and added fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley to it. Then I roasted it in the oven at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours. Let it sit at room temperature for 5 minutes or so before slicing. You can cook it a bit longer, but more than 2 hours for a 3-5 lb. roast would be too much. Add a little red wine if you'd like - not much, about 1 cup would do.

For gravy, remove the roast and herbs from the roasting pan, add 2 cups of beef stock to the roasting pan and scrape up all the little roasted bits.





Set over high heat and when it starts boiling, pour a mixture of flour and water (1/2 cup water to 1/4 cup flour) in a thin stream into the stock, whisking all the while.

The flour and water mixture.


The only way to keep lumps from forming is to be FAST.



Do this in small amounts to check for consistency; if you put too much in, you'll get brown glue. Once it's the right thickness, let it simmer for a few minutes to cook out all the flour. Season with salt and pepper and strain if you'd like before using.


"Cooking out" the flour.


The right consistency.

You'll see my gravy color isn't too dark, that's because I didn't sear the roast enough before cooking. You could add something like Kitchen Bouquet, but I like to just go with the real dea. Besides, it sure tasted good.
The roasted baby vegetables were all simply washed, tossed into a large baking pan and drizzled with olive oil. I sprinkled these with coarse salt and coarse pepper and covered with foil before putting in the oven - that same 350 degrees F - for an hour or until tender and nicely colored.



Baby veggies ready to go into the oven.



Roast and Veggies.

Salad is pretty straightforward - wash your lettuce, dry very well, tear in bite sized pieces and add whatever you like. The Kentucky Butter Cake is linked for you, and you don't want to miss that one!

6 comments:

FLmom7 said...

Hi Anne, the veggies look delicious (I'm gonna have to pass on the meat part, you know I don't eat meat), but the veggies and the cake- yum! I'll have to try those sometime. I'm amazed that you can get dinner cooked at all with everything you've got going on there. And then you even take the time to share the recipes on your blog! You're superwoman, that's for sure;-)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

It is really inspiring that with all that you have going on you can still get a great dinner on the table! The vegetables look amazing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those veggies look wonderful (and this coming from someone who's had to force herself to learn to eat veggies for her kids' sakes)!

I think I'm going to try your veggie technique this week with a pork roast. Also, I hesitate to use baby carrots, as the ones I've had seem to lack the flavor of a full-size carrot, even when it's chopped into bite-size pieces.

foodierachel said...

That roast and veggies look so good,
I think I could lick the screen!

KFarmer said...

Ohhhh looks yummy! Sorry I missed it~ : )

Ane said...

Looks yummy! Keep up good work! Love this blog! Your site will be added to my cooking blog roll!
Aloha~