Monday, February 04, 2008

Pastel de Cuatro Leches


This sweet wonder made it into Saveur's tenth annual 100 issue and one taste will tell you just why. This dense triple-milk (condensed, evaporated, heavy cream) soaked cake is perfection. Saveur offers up a delicious version of dulce de leche sold by Zingerman's (LOVE Zingerman's!), but I made my own at home with a can of sweetened condensed milk.

There are several ways to go about it:

Put two holes in the top of the can and set in an ovenproof pan with water poured in to halfway up the side of the can. Place this in the oven at 250 degrees F for about 4 hours until it's dark and thick.

Cut the whole top off of the can and cover loosely with foil and proceed as above.

Pour into a pie plate, cover with foil and put in a water bath as above.

Pour into a heavy saucepan and put over low heat. Stir very often until the right color and consistency (dark caramel color and spreadable consistency). This still takes 45 minutes to an hour and needs constant attention.

Or buy it. See above.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Zingerman's! Have you ever had the Dave's Open Road (#74) sandwich from their deli? It's amazing. A bit pricy, but amazing.

Truth said...

I had never heard of Zingermans until I received a call close to Christmas. I didn't recognize the name and let it go to my answering machine. The message was that they were sorry my bags didn't come with my order...I figured they had the wrong number. A half hour later, the UPS man delivered a huge box of breads. It was a gift from my SIL. It was wonderful. I was wishing I hadn't had so much company because I had to share.

Anne Coleman said...

Andy-I haven't lived close enough to Zingerman's to be able to get a sandwich there for YEARS. On my next visit to Mi, I'm there!

truth, that is so funny! I wouldn't want to share, either.

Anonymous said...

This is just beautiful. Awesome Post!

Jaime said...

oh my! this looks delicious!

and i love zingerman's...their dulce de leche brownie is heavenly!

i just joined the DB this month too, just checking out everyone else's blogs, wanted to say hello :)

CraftyCarole said...

La salamandra is one of Argentina's best dulce de leche!