Thursday, February 08, 2007

R,S,C #26 Recipes

We have recipes! Dalene and I are obviously of the same school of thought here and Ian has outdone himself with such meager ingredients. Great job, guys!

I also pitched these 3 ingredients to a group of moms and, sure enough, they all came up with great and varied ideas! I'll check with them if I can share and will get back with that asap.


I'm missing a recipe from my sister-in-law (check her out at Going Gluten-Free), but after hearing that my niece went to the ER for stitches, I'm not too worried about this game!

Dalene our Compulsive Writer at
From the mixed-up files of a middle aged mind sent in this:

Tailgate Party Beans

1 pkg. BallPark Beef Franks
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/4 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 onion, chopped
4-5 large dill pickles, chopped in bits larger than the chopped onions
2 cans and kind of red beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 jar of your favorite BBQ sauce

Brown ground beef with chopped onion.

Grill BallPark Beef Franks (the only brand I'll eat,
and even then, only if they're cooked on the BBQ).
Chop into 1-inch pieces. Dump beef and onion mixture,
crumbled up bacon, cut-up hot dogs and all the rest of
the ingredients together in your crock pot.
Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Serve hot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ian from
The Gallumphing Gourmand submitted this:

Hot Dogs Supreme

6 large hot dogs
8 strips of crispy cooked bacon, plus the bacon fat
4 oz cooked shrimp, tails removed
1 large dill pickle, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced thinly
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
BBQ sauce

Yorkshire Pudding batter:
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, well-beaten
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cook the hot dogs in boiling water until they float to the top.

Remove from water.
Place the cooked bacon, the shrimp, salt, pepper and

garlic into a food processor, and pulse a few times to
create a rough mixture. Do not puree. Shallowly slice
each hot dog lengthwise along the seam from end to end.
Use a small measuring spoon or something similar to
scoop out about half of the hot dog meat.
Place a couple slices of pickle into each hot dog,

then fill each one with the shrimp and bacon mixture.

Now make the Yorkshire pudding
Combine the egg and milk; beat until they’re frothy.

Use electric mixer on low speed to gradually beat in t
he flour and salt; when all the flour has
been added, then turn the mixer to high and beat until

smooth. Let stand 30 minutes.
While the pudding batter is resting, preheat the

oven to 450ºF. If using a glass baking dish, then
preheat to 425ºF. Pour about 2 tbsp of the bacon
fat into a 8”x8” pan. Heat the empty pan in the oven.
Make sure you keep an eye on it, as it will start to smoke.
Pour batter into hot pan; and lay in the stuffed hot dogs.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until pudding has risen, and has

browned slightly.

Serve with mashed potatoes and BBQ Sauce.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And my own, which is a variation of my Hearty Bean Casserole:

RSC Bean Casserole

5 slices bacon-diced
1 clove garlic-minced
1 small onion-chopped
1 small green pepper-diced small
1 lb hot dogs sliced in 1/2" lengths
4 c cooked beans (any type)
3/4 c barbecue sauce

Cook onion, pepper and bacon together until onions
are translucent. Add garlic and cook briefly-do not brown.
Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into
2 qt casserole and bake 30 minutes at 350F until bubbly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Anne, just wanted to thank you for the loverly comments on my writing, and to tell you that I think you are a GREAT writer! I'm so excited that you get to write "for real" and I know you're gonna do fabulous...

Anne Coleman said...

Oh, Jenni. You're so sweet! I have a feeling my editor's head will be spinning! haha

I am the comma queen.

kbabe1968 said...

Anne...sorry, this one frightened me! LOL :D I tried. The best I came up with was hot dog chili, but without knowing for sure what it tasted like, I was afraid to post it! LOL :D

I PROMISE to participate next week! :D