Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

I know of mothers who receive lavish gifts on Mother's Day; things like pearls or diamonds or large-ish household appliances. I am not one of those mothers, and I prefer it that way. I was spoiled absolutely rotten today by my children, and it didn't involve precious gems or machines that go, "whirrrrr".

These are the children responsible for my loverly day:




Quite cute, aren't they?

My oldest daughter (the tallest one in the back), Cassidy, started out my day with an idea that had sprung from my second oldest daughter's head (she's the second tallest in the back, Megan). Cassidy made me a most delicious breakfast of crepes. Yes, crepes. She had asked on Friday if I would teach her to make crepes. I did just that and then she surprised me by duplicating them precisely. We had a choice of apple stuffed or strawberry stuffed and I chose both. Of course. There were also raspberries, sliced kiwi and grapes to go along.


While she was slaving away in the kitchen (crepes for 9 is a true feat!) the rest of the kids showered me with gifts.


A garden made by Erin, complete with climbing Blue Bells along one wall.


Two fabulous cookbooks that Cassidy found in a used bookstore in Kutztown. How neat!

This card is from Erin. She made each of those boxes out of paper. True talent!

Erin taught Declan to make a box, and so he did. He put two lollipops in there for me!
One of Megan's signature cards. The entire inside is full of hand-drawn pictures and funny text that makes me smile.

A card from Katie (she's 7 this week!) that says, "You Rock, Mom". How sweet.

A place mat made by Katie that echos the sentiment of her card. She made this in school.




Megan thought I would like this cake. I've been asked by no less than four of my seven children if I would share it with them.

Lunch was sandwiches with a side of goat's cheese and a French baguette and also whole wheat pita and hummus. Megan knew these were my favorites and made sure to get them.

THEN ... oh yes, there's more ... Cassidy made a dinner of two pastas and two sauces; penne and angel hair, and Alfredo and four-cheese Marinara. It was all topped off with Italian bread, green salad, and the double chocolate cake I had made the night before.

Now, tell me, how on earth could diamonds beat that?

26 comments:

Cakes said...

oh Anne! What a beautiful day! You are so blessed!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Mother's Day - Your family really honored you on this special day.

I love the picture of your children!

Cas
Happy day after Mother's Day

Ruth Strong said...

Wow! What a wonderful family and what great gifts too!!!! Happy late Mother's Day

Laurie said...

Looks (and tastes) like you had a wonderful Mother's Day! Your family is precious!

toontz said...

A perfect day from a wonderful family! Lucky gal!

Anonymous said...

No way could diamonds beat this! These are the things that are so special, sounds like you are very, very blessed. Lovely looking family, too!

Melanie said...

Diamonds certainly can't beat that! I haven't seen a pic of all your kids together for quite a while. They're all getting so big! Happy belated Mother's Day, Annie!

toontz said...

Anne-
I have sent you an award. Please check out my blog!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

You are a lucky lady!!! I got my dose of the same. Even a poem written for me by my 7 year old!!! Aren't we lucky!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Mother's Day you had! What thoughtful children! Good for you.
Linda

giz said...

Such a special Mother's Day - seven kids and you still have time to blog?? Do you bother sleeping?

Truth said...

Sounds like a most wonderful day. I'm happy you were so blessed. You've taught them well.

KFarmer said...

What a wonderful day to a beautiful, smart, and well loved Mom. You do rock!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I just found this blog and love all the recipes and pictures. Wow, you and your family are amazing!

CAO- Chef Azura othman said...

all that i can say is awww... those are reallly sweet , i love your blog and will come by more often xoxo

Anonymous said...

day is really nice day for only mother. I love my mother

Anonymous said...

Wow, what beautiful gifts. You are truly blessed.

Suzy-Q said...

Now THAT sounds like a major Mothers Day!!

I am glad you had such a wonderful day. Why was your hubby and daughter up at 1am? Did someone have a hard time sleeping??

Kristin said...

So much better than jewels! What a day -- they really cherish you. (And that crepe looks divine!) Love the photo of all the kids.

Anonymous said...

wow...what a day! I was kissed by my two-year-old daughter in bid and she greeted me happy mother's day. I did not expected she'll do that because she's too young. Have a pleasant day!

Jenni said...

Holy cow, I think you win the prize for most spoiled!!

And I couldn't be happier; you deserve it!

Anonymous said...

I just found this blog, I love your recipes, I will use them on my site.. thanks!

Visit Mottle - Free people search engine - Find anyone for free, sign up is free

Anonymous said...

Now those are some awesome gifts!

Anonymous said...

Your children are so sweet...I think your very happy receiving those sweet messages from your children..Belated Happy Mothers day...

CraftyCarole said...

OK.. i'm far behind in reading blogs, but this made me smile... I had my own mini version of mother's day... pare down 4 kids and you have me.. with all my cards that the kids made. They're so sweet.

Sunny said...

You are the only person who has ever made me want more than two kids. You are truely a lucky woman.