Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sweetie Pie's Macaroni and Cheese



There was an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on recently that I couldn't stop thinking about. Like Mama Made featured a restaurant in St. Louis, Missouri run by Robbie Montgomery, former back-up singer for Ike and Tina Turner and Soul Food Chef Extraordinaire. She was cookin' up the biggest batches of the most delicious looking fried chicken, sweet potatoes and macaroni and cheese you'd ever like to see.

I watched as she made her famous macaroni and cheese and wasn't fast enough to get pen and paper to write it down. I searched in earnest yesterday and came across a review of her place at Is it EDible? and Ed had linked to a news story that features the very recipe I'd been trying to get my hands on. God love fellow bloggers!

I made this for dinner tonight, but I have to issue a stern warning; This is not for the faint of heart - and I mean that quite literally! I got a 10 x 15 pan out of this and we didn't finish off but a third of it. This is so filling and so delicious, but so very rich that I can't see making it all-too often. The kids were just crazy about it and when Lara dropped some from her tray, our chihuahua, Molly, was all too happy to clean it up for me.

9/2/2008 - After all of the comments I've received on this, I decided to step in here and edit this post. I've come across two things; another article from the AP that contains the recipe, and a YouTube clip of the episode in question.

The AP article reads, "Robbie Montgomery, owner of the two Sweetie Pie’s restaurants in the St. Louis area, says this macaroni and cheese is her take on one taught to her by a band member when she toured as a backup singer with Ike and Tina Turner during the 1960s.

Montgomery cooks to taste and says this recipe is easily adjusted. For instance, she sometimes omits the eggs.
"

In light of this last statement, it may be that Robbie simply felt like using sour cream that night and didn't put it in the written recipe. She used an awful lot of milk, though and she may have just used whole milk for the whole thing rather than a mixture of whole milk and evaporated milk during filming. From what I can see in the video, it looks to be about 1 cup of sour cream to the batch she is making there, which is about double the recipe below.

I've added the sour cream in red and you can add it if you'd like.

I hope this will help to clear up any of the confusion. Short of calling Robbie Montgomery myself (I think she's a little busy for a call from me), this will have to do!

SWEETIE PIE'S MACARONI AND CHEESE
Printable Recipe

Start to finish: 45 minutes.

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound elbow macaroni pasta
1 cup whole milk
Two 12-ounce cans evaporated milk
3 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
2 sticks butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 pound colby cheese, shredded
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/2 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 pound Velveeta cheese, cut into small chunks
Salt, to taste
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup shredded American or mild Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer the pasta to a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the whole milk, evaporated milk (sour cream) and eggs. Mix with a fork until thoroughly combined.

Add the butter and colby, Monterey Jack, sharp Cheddar and Velveeta cheeses to the pasta.

Pour the milk and egg mixture over the pasta. Season with salt, pepper and sugar and toss. Sprinkle the top of the pasta with the remaining cup of American or Cheddar cheese.

Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.

Serves 10.

24 comments:

Ed Tep said...

Anne - Glad to help! Having had the real thing at Sweetie Pie's,it is one of the richest versions I've ever tasted. So I completely agree that this is one of those dishes that I couldn't eat every day. But is great for those special occasions! I'm sure my chihuahua Rocco wouldn't mind helping you and Molly out if you have any more spills.

Anonymous said...

That is a lot of butter and cheese...it really must be delicious.

Unknown said...

We just had Mac & Cheese the other day. I'll have to try this recipe next time!

toontz said...

I think my arteries just closed up from reading this recipe. I better not even try this - everyone in the family would love it and ask for it constantly!

Deborah Dowd said...

Though I was not enthralled with the host, this show is really growing on me, and a good mac and cheese is an essential for any family kitchen!

Cakes said...

Hilarious! I live down the street from Sweetie Pie's (at the Mangrove.) Yummy Yummy stuff! How cool to have their recipe now for Mac and Cheese!

Meghan said...

Oh my Gosh!
I am so making this!!!
I feel my hips & tush expanding as I write.
YUMM!

Barry said...

I was hungry BEFORE I read this.

I love basic mac and cheese anyways - and this sounds way too delicious!

I need to stop reading this blog if I want to loose weight :P

Anonymous said...

wow...i thought my mac and cheese was over the top, but this uses a whole POUND of cheese more! my arteries are clogging just thinking about it.

Cats-n-birds said...

I would have to cut this recipe by 1/3 or 1/4, and still would have leftovers for one person. I wonder if you could freeze this in smaller portions. I'm sure going to try this fall. I just saw this episode tonite and I have got to try this M&C!!

kelisa said...

We taped the Diners Drive-ins & Dives show on the Foodnetwork that featured Like Mama Makes (Sweetie Pie's Mac & Cheese) and the ingredients are different...There is not evaporated milk but there is sour cream! Either way sounds great.

Anne Coleman said...

Hi, Kelisa - I'm wondering if the recipe she issued to Metro West Daily News kept a little of the "secret" back. I thought there was something missing as well, I'll have to find that episode again!

Anonymous said...

That is correct. There was no evaporated milk but sour cream. My only concern is how much. I am making this for my sons graduation party and feeding 150+ and now I have to figure out how much sour cream I will need. Robbie said on the show that it is 2 heaping tablespoons (well she did a little more than that)but if there is anyone out there that can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Acatlady said...

She used two heaping serving spoonsful. Probably close to 3/4 to 1 cup, I think, and no evaporated milk.

Cody said...

I suspect her recipe is like many Southern cooks' recipes..no exact measurement. My mom was a terrific cook but her recipes were a pinch a this, a smattering of that, a dab of whatever. Hard to duplicate and I always suspected there was a "secret" ingredient she never shared with anyone. So.. good luck in replicating Sweetie Pies mac and cheese recipe..I am going to try my hand at it tonight!

MonAlexM said...

Thank you for posting this! Last year I watched the episode and scribbled down what she did and made it to rave reviews. Now I want to make it again this yer, so ask me if I can find that little scrap of yellow paper or remember all the ingredients? Not a chance so again my heartfelt thanks!!

Justmom44 said...

I made this on Saturday and all I can say is OMG that was the best Macaroni and Cheese I have ever eaten! My sister thinks this should be the new thing at our Easter dinner this year, it was that amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!

nascar4433 said...

I watched the Fieri episode too, then looked for the recipe. The video is also on FoodNetwork.com, but not the recipe. Thanks for including the sour cream, as that's what Robbie used in the video. She didn't use condensed milk, but that's okay. This is the only recipe that truly reflects what Robbie cooked with Guy. Can't wait to try it, as good mac & cheese is one of my all-time favorite foods! We're going to make it as a group for one of our Bible study dinners where we all cook together Thank you!

Unknown said...

MAN I'M REALLY CONSIDERING MAKING THIS FOR THANKSGIVING THIS WEEK BUT IM A LITTLE CONFUSED. IN THE VIDEO ROBBIE DID NOT MENTION EVAPORATED MILK...SO IS IT IN THE RECIPE OR NOT?

Anne Coleman said...

Trinette, you'd need to read the entire blog post to understand that! It's in the recipe that was given to a news outlet though the video doesn't have it. Also, the video has sour cream that is not in the written recipe ;)

Anne Coleman said...

It's evaporated, not condensed. As I've replied below, it's in the recipe that was given to the news outlet linked above.

Anne Coleman said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hi! thanks..this recipe is difficult to find. I'm not a cook. I need a recipe to follow exactly. So I'm confused. Do I use both sour cream AND evaporated milk. OR one or the other? Thx for clarifying. I'm trying to impress a guy. LOL!

Anne Coleman said...

Only the sour cream is optional - which is what the parentheses were for - add it at that time if you choose to use it - and GOOD LUCK! Best way to a man's heart is good food ;)