Saturday, April 12, 2008

Sweet Chicken Curry with Mango and Kumquats


Sweet Chicken Curry with Mango and Kumquats
Sweet Chicken Curry with Mango and Kumquats

This came from a food challenge in which the ingredients were cardamom, mango and brown sugar.
I know most jwere thinking along the lines of baked goods, but I'm more pulled to the savory side of life.

Here's what I made:


Sweet Chicken Curry with Mango and Kumquats
Sweet Chicken Curry with Mango and Kumquats


Sweet Chicken Curry with Mango and Kumquats
Serves 4

1 lb. chicken breast - cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1 clove garlic - minced
1 small onion - diced
1/2 cup each red, green and yellow peppers - diced
1/2 cup pineapple bits - drained
1/2 cup halved  kumquats -remove visible seeds if desired
1/2 cup diced mango
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons sliced green onion
1 -2  Tablespoons curry powder (the cardamom is in the curry!)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 cups cooked jasmine brown rice

Directions:

1. First toast the curry powder in a dry pan over medium heat until fragrant and just turning darker. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Cook chicken cubes in a large skillet with salt and pepper in oil until no longer pink. Set aside.
3 In the same pan, cook shallots,  garlic and onion until translucent. Do not brown. Add peppers, pineapple, kumquats, mango, stock, curry and brown sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes or until peppers are tender. Stir in reserved chicken and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve over rice.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to move in with you and let you cook for me all the time!!
-d

Chris Bacon Books said...

I just love, a fruit or sweet curry, friends find it hard to believe you add coconut and fruit and berries to a curry, but it makes it just so "morish",

just give some more fresh tasting food
Spud

Suzy-Q said...

I sure want to be your neighbor and get your "here-you-must-try-this" taste tests!

THis looks so yummy!

KFarmer said...

Yes, it is very lovely and I bet equally delish!

I wish you would go for the Bobby Flay thingy~ That way I could boast to all the world I know a TV super star! I know you'd win :)

Anonymous said...

It may be a nice combination that chicken curry with mango.

LisaRene said...

Hello,

I really like your entry as well. Its a lot of fun to see how the ingredients play out in other peoples creations.

Tempered Woman said...

I never would have thought of kumquats but seeing your recipe it makes perfect sense~ great pairing!
I so love chicken curry, YUM!

Brown Sugar said...

This looks really tasty!
Your pictures are great, and the dish is so colourful! I'm so much more aware of that lately, and when I make a supper which seems to be all one colour, I can barely stand it! :o)

Cindy H
http://www.jbkpottery.com

Какво-Къде said...

Yummy got to try this recipe it looks soo tasty :)

BettyAnn @Mango_Queen said...

What a delightful idea to add mangoes to the chicken curry! I love mangoes any day, any time and I've bookmarked this recipe to try soon. Glad to have found you via Monica Bhide's chicken curry round up. Thanks & all the best!