Sunday, March 30, 2008

Daring Bakers' Challenge: Perfect Party Cake

This month's Daring Bakers' Challenge was hosted by Morven at Food Art and Random Thoughts.

She chose what turned out to be the best cake I've ever had - and my entire family feels the same way. Dorie Greenspan's Perfect Party Cake from her book Baking: From My Home to Yours, is just that; perfect.

I made this one twice, for two reasons. The first was that I didn't think the cake was supposed to be so flat. It really doesn't rise much at all. It was so good, though that I thought it must be right. When I checked with other DBers I found that they had the same "problem", which wasn't a problem after all. The second reason was that the cake was so good, there was no reason not to make it again.

The full recipe can be found at the above link to Morven's blog and these are two photos of the delectable confection:





**I feel like I need a little addendum here ... this cake does not really look pretty. At all. Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows that for me to have attempted to actually decorate this cake would have ended in a very disastrous manner. I can cook. I can bake. I do both very well, but decorating? Not my thing for some very odd reason. The cake was absofabulosodelicious, though!

10 comments:

Renee said...

I thought the cake was pretty much perfect, too! Congratulations this month, it looks beautiful.

KFarmer said...

OMG~ I could dive in that cake and eat myself sick! Gonna go get the recipe, NOW and thanks :)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Great job on the cake. It looks fantastic!

giz said...

For someone who can't decorate me thinks you done good girl :)

Anonymous said...

The cake looks delicious. And it must be delicious if you made it a second time.

Have a nice week.

Cas

Anonymous said...

Don't be silly, your cake looks just wonderful. Great job.

Anonymous said...

I think your cake looks great! Way better than I could do!

Melanie said...

Ooooooo! That looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I don't think that cake needs any decorating. The goodness of it pops right at you. You're making me want to cheat on my diet! Nice one :)

Whistle Britches said...

We'll give that one a try.

Perhaps you have a decorator living in the house whose talents haven't been discovered yet?