Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Royal Foodie Joust Entry



This is my very first "Royal Foodie Joust" and my entry is:

Butterflied Shrimp on Coconut Risotto with Avocado, Lime and Cilantro Cream
Printable Recipe

I know I shouldn't pat myself on the back, but this was so good I could have eaten all 4 servings! If I ever get that restaurant to run, this will be on the menu!


For 4 Servings:

Risotto:

1 cup arborio rice
1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
2 - 3 cups chicken stock
1 Tablespoon sliced green onion
1 Tablespoon neutral oil
1/4 cup shredded coconut - toasted

Shrimp:

12 large shrimp - tails on and butterflied (sliced down the back nearly all the way through)
1 Tablespoon neutral oil

Cream:

1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
1/2 small avocado
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1/4 cup sour cream


Make the risotto:

Saute green onion in 1 T oil briefly. Add rice and toast lightly. Mix coconut milk and chicken stock.
Add stock mixture to rice one cup at a time - letting rice absorb stock before adding another cup.
Add the toasted coconut after the second cup of stock.
Stir nearly constantly. When you get to the 20 minute mark, check the rice for consistency.
Once the rice is al dente and creamy, you're done. You may or may not use all of the stock.
Keep warm.

Make the cream:

Combine cilantro, avocado, lime and sour cream in a blender. Puree until very smooth.

Make the shrimp:

Pan-fry the shrimp - cut side down - until lightly browned. This will take about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water to the pan so the shrimp will finish cooking and curl slightly. This will take just another 2 minutes or so.

For service I used coconut halves filled with risotto and topped with 3 shrimp each. Place a
dollop of cream on each shrimp and garnish with a sprinkling of toasted coconut and a cilantro leaf.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just have one word to describe this dish:

*faint*

OMG, I have to make this. Or, better yet, open that restaurant so I can come and order some...like 2-3 servings. LOL!

--Mirz

Deborah Dowd said...

Wow! This looks so elegant and delicious. I have never "jousted", but I need to!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Great entry! Good luck with the Joust!

Suzy-Q said...

Can the sight of food make you swoon? That looks sooooo good!

Scout said...

this does look SO great. I'll print it out and give it a shot. Risotto is one of my favorite dishes, no matter what's in it.

Adopted Son said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I want that. Definitely something I would order by the picture.

Jenni said...

WOW, that is gorgeous!! I had to force myself not to lick my monitor...

Good luck with the joust; sounds like fun!

Joy Through Cooking said...

I made this friday! WOW! SO YUMMY! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anne Coleman said...

Joy, that's so cool to hear! When you develop a recipe you're never sure if it's all "right" until someone else tries it. Thanks for letting me know!

Laura Paterson said...

Good joust - I love risotto - and I really like the idea of the avocado cream!

Maggie said...

I saw this on the joust and had to save it for later. I love that you are making the most of so few ingredients. I can't wait to try the recipe!