Sunday, March 02, 2008

Sunday Dinner


"Thank you for the world so sweet,
Thank you for the food we eat.
Thank you for the birds that sing,
Thank you God for everything."

Child's Mealtime Prayer






  • Breaded Pork Filets
  • Risotto
  • Broccoli with Orange Gremolata
  • Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Icing

Is that Risotto you see listed there? Why, yes - it is! It's not really as difficult to make as anyone thinks, and so delicious I couldn't think of a better way to spend half and hour at the stove. This is one of those classic dishes I've wanted to share the preparation of for some time anyway. No time like the present.
The Gremolata is most often made with lemon zest, but I was missing lemons today so I subbed orange zest. It was perfect.

First, here are the pork filets.



One 1/2" thick boneless pork chop, trimmed of fat.

The "stick" I beat the pork with (a.k.a. Grandma's rolling pin).

The beaten pork. Strike from the center outward in a steady motion until the pork is 1/4" thin.


After rubbing the pork with the a garlic clove cut in half, sprinkle with Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Rub this in to the surface of the pork.

I don't like a heavy standard breading - flour, egg, crumbs - so I just pat fresh bread crumbs into both sides of the pork. It's light and crispy at the edges without being heavy in the center.

Frying in hot oil - about 3 minutes per side.

Flipped to the other side. Once all the filets are fried, place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and finish in the oven at 300 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes.

A finished filet.


This is the Risotto:
Arborio rice. See how pretty it is? Arborio is rounder than usual long-grain rice. Do NOT rinse the rice before cooking. All that starch is what makes it creamy.

Half a small onion diced fine and cooked in olive oil - 4T - until translucent.

The rice (1 lb. about 1 1/2 cups) added to the oil and onion and lightly toasted.

Add HOT stock - you will need 6 to 8 cups - a cup at a time to the rice. Stir until the stock is absorbed. Add, a cup at a time, until you have added 6 cups. This takes about 15 minutes over a medium flame with almost constant stirring. Once you hit this point, try the rice to see if it's done. It should be al dente and not crunchy in the center.

This is the stock absorbed about halfway - 4 cups in. The finished Risotto disappeared before I had the chance to photograph it! Finish the Risotto with 2 tablespoons of butter and about 1/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan if you like.

The cake. A simple Wacky Cake with peanut butter icing. 1/2 stick of butter, 1 cup of creamy peanut butter, 1 t vanilla extract and 1 cup of powdered sugar. I have several here who don't like lots of icing so I go light. The center of these two mammoth cakes (gorgeous 10" pans I got for Christmas) was nothing but peanut butter spread in between.

5 comments:

KFarmer said...

What a lovely prayer :) I remember it from when I was a kiddo~

When I make my schnitzel I do it all the way. That's probably why it took me four tries before I could find a pair of jeans to fit yesterday...I'm not fibbing either.

Today, that ain't even gonna happen. I looked at your CAKE!!You're killing me Anne~ lol! :)

Anonymous said...

Mmm, looks yummy. I've never tried risotto but I got a recipe for it via email the other day and now I read of your version here.... must be a sign. :)

BTW, thanks for stopping by This Simple Life. Come back again sometime. :)

Anonymous said...

Wacky Cakes are a wonderful thing!. Your breaded pork filets remind me of the "cheater tonkatsu" that I make for my kids sometimes.

Jenni said...

Wow. That whole meal is a thing of beauty. A work of art. Pardon me while I mop up my drool.

giz said...

I should have known better than to look at this when I'm hungry - now I'm starving and this looks so good.