Saturday, April 07, 2007

What's in Yours?

Deborah recently asked what was in my refrigerator and I shamed myself by letting everyone know. Last night while looking at the Penzeys catalog, I decided I would do one better and play show-and-tell with my spice cabinet.

Here it is:


I have herbs and spices ranging from too expensive to 99 cents. I'm not ultra picky about where they've come from, as long as they're fresh. So, in my cabinet there is:

paprika
apple pie spice
ground nutmeg
ground cinnamon
salt & peppercorn mix Penzeys
star anise
Accent
chili powder
whole nutmeg
ground allspice
ground ginger
Cajun seasoning
bay leaves
juniper berries Penzeys
Old Bay seasoning
garlic powder
onion powder
cream of tartar
dried whole ginger
whole cinnamon sticks
beef bouillon
chicken bouillon
parsley
ground sage
Curry Simba Mbili from Nairobi, Kenya
thyme leaves
dill weed
pepper course and fine grind
French oregano
seafood seasoning
marjoram
Greek oregano
basil
rosemary
Tarragon
Mrs Dash Garlic
whole coriander
box of Stevia packets
file powder
packet of taco seasoning
4 packets of Kool-Aid
cupcake liners--mammoth, regular and mini
number candles 7, 5 and 2
1/4 bottle of gin that belongs to hubby-(I would use it for Choucroute Garni if I didn't have juniper berries)
colored flexible straws
Winnie the Pooh cups that my friend
Carole sent over
box of "strike anywhere" matches

While I was looking at that catalog I noticed their replacement box...you know, what you would need if you somehow lost all your spices. Their box wouldn't cut it for me at all which got me thinking. What ten herbs and spices do you need to have on hand at all times (salt and pepper excluded)?

Mine would be:

basil
oregano
bay leaf
thyme
Mrs Dash garlic and herb
whole nutmeg
ground cinnamon
ground ginger
cayenne pepper (which I'm out of at the moment!)
dill



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting - similar to the list I could create, but I don't have exactly the same list. The only one I have that comes to mind that isn't on your list is beau monde. And you have several that I don't have. And mine aren't so well organized. I dry my own parsley, basil, oregano, hot peppers and a couple of other things from the garden at the end of each season.

I had forgotten about Penzey's. Thanks for the reminder.

Happy Easter to you and your family.

Cas

Deborah Dowd said...

Anne,
My spice cabinet is full of spices and because I sometimes buy the larger containers at Costco, it takes more than one cabinet to hold them!
Ten I have to have- garlic powder, paprika, basil, italian seasoning, cumin,cinnamon,nutmeg, cayenne pepper, chili powder (if I could only have 1 I would have chipotle), sage. I grow rosemary and bay leaf, so I get two extra!

Have a Happy Easter!

Greg said...

Thanks for stopping by my little blog Anne... I agree, marshmallow peeps are just evil...

I just recently alphabetized my spice cabinet. Is that wrong?

Love to cook as well.. Look forward to sifting thru your recipes..

Happy Easter!
Greg
www.denvertvguy.com

SantaBarbarian said...

What...no hidden stash of Peeps? ;-)

I LOVE Penzey's. If I had the money, I would order up large jars of everything they have.

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Sans-Peeps Easter!

SantaBarbarian said...

Oh...speaking of PEEPS...DON'T look at this Washington Post article on an "artistic" competition they had...

;-) OK...take a "PEEP"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/05/AR2007040501976.html

There were copious dioramas with antiwar or patriotic themes ("Give Peeps a Chance" and "George Washingpeep Crossing the Delaware," for example). Several chronicled Britney Spears's meltdown in front of the "Peeparazzi." Two dioramas adapted a classic Charlton Heston movie line: "Soylent Green is Peeps!"

Anonymous said...

God I think I would check my cupboard first. Anyway Happy Easter to you and to your family!

Anne Coleman said...

Jill...ROFL-I have to post this link! Toooo funny!