Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Veggie Wednesday

Lebanese Zucchini
From The Frugal Gourmet
Jeff Smith

Serves 8

4 medium zucchini
1 cup long-grain rice
1 yellow onion, peeled, chopped, and browned
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon dried dill
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups tomato sauce, canned

Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
Cook the rice. Mix the rice with the yellow onion, salt, pepper,
lemon juice, allspice, cinnamon, and dill.
Use to stuff the zucchini shells. Lay them, face up,
in a baking dish, and add tomato sauce to the bottom of the pan.
Do not cover the squash with the sauce.
Cover, and bake in a 350° F oven until tender but firm, about 1 hour.
Serve with a little of the tomato sauce on top.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is nice since Ive been looking for great ways to cook veggies!

Deborah Dowd said...

I am glad to see someone else uses Jeff Smith- I used to love his show and I use his "cooking three ancient cuisines" all the time. My husband is a zuccini addict so I know this will make its way to our table!

Unknown said...

Mmm...sounds good! I love stuffed veggies and zucchini are some of my favorite.

Quick question: I am doing a health fair with the pediatric interest group at the hospital where I'm in school. I'm in charge of the healthy snacks/fun snacks booth. Do you have any fun and healthy idea that the kids would like, snacks that would make them decide they like something they thought they didn't like, etc.? Just thought you might have some good ideas since you've definitely got some kiddos to feed! Thanks!

Anne Coleman said...

Let me dig out some things and get back to you!

mr coffee said...

I remeber zucchini in the sixties at my grandparents place. they OVER planted and the had them bigger than me... Being depression era they had zucchini EVERYTHING and the ZUCHS WOULD NOT DIE!

eyes_only4him said...

have a great Easter sweety;)

Jackie said...

Sounds great, I must give it a bash as I love succhini.