Monday, October 16, 2006

Sunday Dinner x2

What to do with this after Sunday Dinner?



This!



Not complicated in any way, chicken pie is easy and a true comfort food. Any pie dough will do but, as with many things, homemade is best. My favorite pie crust recipe is this:

Pie Crust

Single :

1 1/4 c flour
1/4 t salt
1/3 c shortening
3 to 4 T ice water

Combine flour and salt.
Cut in shortening until it looks like small peas.
Add water and knead a few times.
Let rest covered for 10 minutes and roll out as needed.

Double crust:

2 c flour
1/2 t salt
2/3 c shortening
6 to 7 T ice water

Same method as above.
~*~*~*~*~*

Simply cut up the leftover chicken, potatoes, carrots and onion (if you have that) into bite sized pieces and mix with about 2 cups of leftover chicken gravy. Season to taste (I like salt, pepper, thyme) and sprinkle the bottom pie crust with a tablespoon or two of flour before adding the chicken mixture. Top with the second crust, vent and bake at 350°until the crust is browned and the filling is hot and bubbly.

Easy second dinner and not at all like typical leftovers!

3 comments:

CraftyCarole said...

mmm mmm.. back in my meat eating days I LOVED chicken pot pie.. and made it every chance I got.

BTW.. how did you know about my blog????

Anne Coleman said...

Ah...ve haf our vays. :O)

Actually, it's called Sitemeter lol Someone came here from your blog and all I could think was "Hey...I know a Carole!" Sure enough, it was you!

dalene said...

That's so funny! I made four chicken pot pies last night with my favorite recipe from a friend. Another of my friends had a baby and I wanted to take dinner in, so it was the first thing that came to mind. I figured it's just as messy--and just as easy--to make a big batch so I came out with my dinner, her's, lunch leftovers for the rest of the week and one to freeze for a rainy day. How great to visit your blog this morning and see we were of like minds across the miles...