Saturday, October 07, 2006

Monkey Bread



This is so easy that it's even doable on busy mornings and the kids love it. I've made this with various types of doughs from frozen bread dough to regular canned biscuits but what we all agreed on was the type of canned biscuit that was best. The flaky ones that pull apart into layers taste the best hands-down. I don't do the "double-dip" method of first dipping in butter or margarine and then dipping in sugar. I find that isn't necessary at all since it all gets covered over with a butter-sugar mixture anyway.

There are so many versions of this that it's mind-boggling! I've seen a pumpkin one that I will try and report on but for now, this is the one we like.


Monkey Bread
Makes one bundt pan


Ingredients:

3 cans flaky-type biscuits (the kind that come apart in layers)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon-ground
1 teaspoon nutmeg-ground

Directions:


1. Coat the inside of a bundt pan with oil or cooking spray.
2. Mix sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until completely blended.
3. Cut each biscuit into quarters.
4. Dip each quarter into sugar and spice mixture and place randomly into bundt pan.
5. When all biscuit quarters have been dipped and placed into pan you should have about 1/2 c of the sugar and spice mixture left-over. Add 1/4 c of melted butter or margarine to sugar and spice and mix well. Pour this over the biscuits in pan.
6. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until puffed up and browned. Let stand for 5 minutes and turn out onto a large plate.
7. Serve by pulling apart with a fork into large pieces.











11 comments:

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I love making Monkey Bread!

It's also fun, and really pretty, to do with cinnamon rolls. Just roll out your yeast dough, brush with butter, cover with sugar, cinnamon, pecans, fruit, whatever you want, roll it up, cut into rounds, and place them strategically in the pan. Let the whole thing rise for about a half hour and bake. The result is beautiful, as well as delish. My kids are grown now, but their friends still request Monkey Bread from Sara's Mom whenever they're in town.

Laurie said...

Anne,

I have a really good and easy recipe for Sticky Buns, similar to your Monkey Bread. I get it ready the night before and bake it in the morning. Here's how:

Grease or butter a bundt cake pan. Add 1/2 cup nuts or pecans and put in bottom of pan if desired. (Optional)

18 balls frozen dinner roll dough (Rhodes is the best) Note: I let them thaw slightly and cut them in half.
Sprinkle rolls with dry cook and serve butterscotch pudding (NOT INSTANT)

Heat together until bubbly:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Pour over rolls and pudding. Cover with towel and let rise overnight.

Bake in the morning at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until done.

Turn on to plate and serve. This will disappear FAST! I had to buy a second pan and make two at a time with my husband, four kids and their friends! Let me know how you like it! I love your blog and read it regularly. Found it through Jennifer's Happy at Home blog!

Laurie in TN

Anonymous said...

It sounds great. We have a Christmas eve morning brunch in our family, and that may be my contribution.

Thanks,
Cas

kbabe1968 said...

Anne! OOOOOH! This sounds so good! Sounds like it's going to have to be a Christmas Morning MUST HAVE! MMMM...bookmarking this one!

Unknown said...

Monkey bread is so much fun. I make mine with the biscuits as well and just toss it in cinnamon sugar. However, the mixture that I pour over has extra brown sugar in it to make it extra gooey! Yummy stuff.

cmhl said...

oh wow, I am going to try this one!!

cmhl said...

hey Anne, can I make (another) request? What are your favorite easy marinades for grilled chicken or grilled steaks?
shrimp/ kabobs?

Melanie said...

I tried making monkey bread once, following a recipe. The problem I had though was that the outer pieces were done when the inner ones were still raw/gooey. Any ideas on what went wrong?

Anne Coleman said...

I knew this was one recipe nearly everyone has tried! I've also tried all the versions you girls have mentioned (except vanilla pudding instead of butterscotch-hubby hates that stuff).

Melanie-I also had that problem and remedied it with the lower temp of 325 instead of 350-and for a slightly longer baking time.

KFarmer said...

I've heard of this recipe but never had the guts to try- With the pictures now perhaps I will :) Thanks Anne- sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

hey, yum, we are going to try this for a birthday sleepover breakfast...I remember going to one as a girl and the mom had this, it was great....