Friday, March 03, 2006

When the Cat's Away...

My husband doesn't fully appreciate my cooking skills. Not that he's ungrateful or anything like that, he just has so many food issues that he doesn't get to enjoy much of what I make. He feels badly about this and often watches us eat something with this pitiful "I wish I could have that too" look on his face. He's just too particular about textures and flavors etc. None of it makes sense so I'm not going into what he will or won't eat (for example; he loves pasta, can't live without cheese, but he won't eat macaroni and cheese, not even the good homemade stuff).

Well, his loss and more for us, right? Not usually. He IS the man of the house after all and so I try to cater to his tastes. However, he is away until Sunday night and we are free to eat whatever we want! This is a rarity so we are taking full advantage.

This is one of the recipes he will not eat but that the rest of us love. It's very simple, few ingredients, but the combination is great. Don't leave out the garlic and olive oil when sauteeing the chicken, it really DOES add a whole different and wonderful dimension to this dish.

Anne's Chicken Spaghetti

1 lb dry spaghetti
1 - 20+ oz jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into one inch dice
3 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 c finely shredded cheddar-room temperature

Cook spaghetti to desired doneness, drain, toss well with olive oil and keep warm.

Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil until it "shimmers".
Add minced garlic and stir quickly--please don't let the garlic burn!
Immediately add chicken and sautè until cooked through and browned.

Add sauce to the chicken and simmer until heated through.

To serve, either place all the spaghetti into a large shallow bowl and top
with sauce and cheddar, or put into individual bowls topping each with a
generous sprinkling of cheese.

I also sometimes put all the spaghetti into a large baking pan, top with the
chicken and sauce, sprinkle the cheese on it and then bake in the oven at 350° for
about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted well.

A healthy green salad and fresh, chewy bread round this out well.
This serves about 6 here, maybe 8 in a family that eats less heartily.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is funny about texture too, and anything somewhat healthy. So I have to get creative and do things like puree carrots in the marinara sauce...but I guess it is getting me prepared for feeding kids!

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I've tried several of your recipes and they were awesome. I'm going to try this one this weekend. It looks wonderful.

How ya doin', by the way?

Peggy said...

am going to try this recipe this weekend. I keep missing the ready set cook contest. I looked each Tuesday and never see the ingredients. I finally saw the last one today... too late... but will try to get in on the next one.

Anne Coleman said...

Jen-homemade babyfood is the bomb! Your darling wee one will thank you (when they get here, of course)

Novaks-he's a hoot for sure-NOT. At least casserole won't be a four letter word this weekend!

Mama dearest (hee hee j/k) you're so flattering! I'm hangin' in and limpin' around.

Peggy-this is really my fault. I seem to always have something going on so I made a button to add to my page and now I can't miss a Tuesday!

cmhl said...

I love your blog. I jsut want to say that-- it gives me hope for my dismal cooking skills. hahahahahah.

the chicken spaghetti sounds yum!!!!!

eyes_only4him said...

man that sounds very good, I never thought of mixing chicken and spagetti togheter..

enjoy the quiet time while hubby is gone..haha

KFarmer said...

I guess I have it pretty easy- as long as I dont put sloppy joes on the table, I am pretty safe :)

As ususal, the receipe sounds devine. Hope you all had a wonderful feast!

Take care sweet-