Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Ready, Set...Huh?

Well, it seems only one person "got it" and sent me a recipe.

I may not have made it understood in the posts leading up to yesterday that we were playing a VIRTUAL game. You know, IF you had XYZ on hand, what would you make?

Well...at any rate, a dear friend of mine sent me the best looking recipe containing those 3 ingredients and I will post it here and tell you to go and visit Ally at Grocery Maven. She would love to have you peek in at her world :o) and it's a worthwhile read as well. Thanks Ally!

****************
Okay Anne, this is what I would do if I found myself at home one day with shrimp, an orange, and couscous. Let's assume it's a
box of whole wheat couscous, since that's better for you, and at least a
pound of medium tiger shrimp, peeled and deveined. The orange is
peeled and sectioned.

I would also add: 1-1/2 chopped onion, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp
minced ginger, 1 sliced red bell pepper, 2 zucchini, sliced, 1 cup +
1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, soy
sauce to taste, salt, black pepper, cornstarch.

Here's what I'd do:

1) Prepare the coucous as the box directs, subbing in one cup of
chicken broth for one cup of water, and adding the chopped onion half
to the water/broth mixture.

2) Saute the chopped onion, ginger and garlic in a non-stick frying
pan on medium with about a tbsp of olive oil, until the onions are
translucent. Add the sliced pepper and the zucchini to the pan, with
1/2 cup chicken broth, orange juice and soy sauce to taste. Cover and
simmer until zucchini is nearly done. Take the cover off, and toss in
the shrimp and the orange sections, stirring and tossing until cooked
but not over cooked. Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed. If you
like a thicker sauce, thicken with 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/4
cup water, stir and add to the pan liquid, and simmer until thickened.

Serve the shrimp dish over the couscous.

6 comments:

eyes_only4him said...

i wasnt home all day or i would f tried to think of something..but i dont know what coucus is..hhaa

KFarmer said...

If you will give us another try Anne, I am sure we can come up with something...:)Pretty please?

Anne Coleman said...

LOL! You two are funny :o)

I didn't mean anything about my readers--I meant I really wasn't clear. Do you know I spend most of my blogging "baby-typing"?

One handed is hard-hard to complete a thought when it takes so long getting it out!

Melanie said...

Anne, I would have loved to have played, but I don't like shrimp, so have no shrimp recipes (the extent of my making shrimp for my family is buying a box of frozen, breaded shrimp and baking it on a cookie sheet in the oven a la pkg directions), and I've never made couscous and don't even have a good idea of what it is other than that I think it might be some kind of rice-looking pasta (am I right?) Sorry! Please post another game! I want to play, too!

mathomhouse said...

I was going to play too, but like Melanie I don't like shrimp. I have NO seafood recipes! I figured I'd just wait until another set of ingredients showed up here!

Anne Coleman said...

Your blog is funnier than mine! I do love the busy Barbies lol

We WILL play again, I promise. I need to think more locally and less globally on ingredients I guess.