Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Veggie Wednesday

I made these last night and they were awesome-my kids asked for seconds and I almost wished I had company to share them with! Since I knew we were going meatless I chose zucchini to replace the meat. My tortillas were a bit dry so if you choose to make your own remember to use enough water and to do it slowly since wheat flour expands slower than white and may feel "done" before it is.

The beans were made with no fat at all and were equally terrific! I'd have this again tonight in a second if I had all the ingredients on hand. I had a plate set for a picture and by the time I found the camera, the food was half-eaten.

Enjoy!

Veggie Fajitas
Printable Recipe


3 med zucchini-cut into strips
1 med onion-sliced
1 med green pepper-cut into strips
1 med red pepper-cut into strips
1 med yellow pepper-cut into strips
1 packet taco seasoning
2 T vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
Toss lightly to thoroughly coat. Cover
and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add veggies and cook until crisp-tender, working in batches if necessary,
about 8 minutes.
Serve with warm whole wheat tortillas, sour cream, salsa, guacamole and black olives.


Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
Printable Recipe


2 c whole wheat flour
1 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
1/4 c shortening
1 to 1/2 c warm water

Combine dry ingredients well. Add shortening and blend. Add water slowly to make a soft biscuit type dough. Divide into 8 balls and roll to 6" circles. Cook in a non-stick pan with no oil until lightly browned on both sides.


Refried Beans
Printable Recipe


1/2 lb dried pinto beans
1 T salt
3 garlic cloves

Soak beans overnight in enough water to cover by 1".
Rinse beans well and put in large pot.
Add enough cold water to cover and heat to boiling.
Cover and simmer for 3 hours or until beans are soft,
adding more water when necessary during cooking.
Add salt and garlic. Cook at least 1 hour more, stirring occasionally.
Heat a large non-stick skillet and add beans.
Stir frequently, until beans are reheated. Mash with a fork or potato masher.
Brown beans until dry and a little crusty, stirring frequently.

Add salt, if needed, to taste.

4 comments:

Deborah Dowd said...

Great blog and just the kind I like to frequent! #1- gerat to see someone with a big family that isn't blended (even though those are great too. I have six kids from 31 to 11 and there are special challenges to keeping your sanity with a large family but the rewards are special too.

Even though Catholics no longer have to do meatless Fridays, we have made that a tradition in our house and I am always looking for something new to do without meat.

Deborah Dowd
http://play-with-food.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

THis is a great idea! I'm going to tag this and must try the beans. I LOVE garlic...anything with garlic must be good.

Anne Coleman said...

Deborah, thank you! I'm hoping someone will really use these recipes.

Claire...I just have to say AGAIN--they were AWESOME! :o)

KFarmer said...

Now that's what I'm talking- from scratch, everything. Going to copy and paste for sure. Sounds wonderful- thanks Anne :)