Sunday, January 07, 2007

Apple Fritters with Sour Cream Glaze

Very often, between lunch and dinner my kids are howling that they are "…hungry m-o-m!". Yesterday was such a day and to quell the tummy monster I whipped up a batch of apple fritters.



Fritters are so simple to make and transform from savory to sweet quite easily with slight adjustments. Some time ago I took my basic recipe for Veggie Fritters and altered it to make Apple Fritters. Yesterday I changed the standard glaze and used sour cream in place of the usual milk and the result was delicious!

Apple Fritters and Sour Cream Glaze

1 ½ c . flour
1 ½ t. baking powder
½ c. granulated sugar
½ t. ground cinnamon
½ t. ground nutmeg
½ t. vanilla extract
1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced small
1 egg, slightly beaten
Milk as needed

Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add vanilla, egg and enough milk to make a thick batter. Add apples and mix well. Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil and cook, turning once, until puffy and brown. Drain well on paper towels. Glaze with Sour Cream Glaze (below) or other icing.

Sour Cream Glaze

1/3 c. sour cream
1 to 1 ½ c. powdered sugar
½ t. vanilla extract
¼ t. each ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg

Mix well and add milk to thin if necessary.

3 comments:

KFarmer said...

OMG- my mouth was watering just reading that recipe! Time to copy and paste again :)

Julie said...

I'll have to copy that cousin of mine and do the same, that is delictable!

Anne Coleman said...

Go for it girls! I am NOT responsible for weight gain, though ;o)