Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Veggie Wednesday

This is my contribution to everyone's health; something I would like to do each Wednesday. Nothing overly special; just a recipe each Wednesday that is either all veggie or very close. These may be completely vegan, ovo-lacto, or a recipe that simply includes a lot of veggies.

With the temperature outside a whopping 12 degrees F with the wind chill, soup seemed like the right choice for today.

Salsa Bean Soup
Serves 6-8
Printable Recipe


4 cups cooked beans
8 cups vegetable stock
3 T olive oil
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 cup salsa, mild or hot, your choice
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
OR
In place of these 3 seasonings, add a packet of your favorite taco seasoning.

Cook onion and bell pepper in olive oil until transparent. Add beans stock and salsa;bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add seasonings and continue simmering for an additional 20 minutes.

Garnish ideas: chopped green chiles, shredded Monterey jack cheese, pepper jack cheese, sour cream. I love tiny pasta like ditalini or acini in this to make it a bit heartier-about 1/2 cup uncooked does it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this recipe since I am shifting to a healthy alternative now.

Anne Coleman said...

Anytime, dear!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you , thank you.....

you will give me inspiration to get my arse back in the kitchen.

Anne Coleman said...

I hope I inspire SOMEBODY! :O)