Sunday, May 21, 2006

Dad






Robert Mac Franklin Foster

9/23/1941-5/20/2006



Dad passed away late last night at 11:15 pm after being very sick all day and lapsing into a coma for 2 hours before his death. He was in a hospice residence and was well cared for.

Before you think that second photo is a bit silly, let me just say, that was dad. He was quick-witted and funny almost all the time. Don't get me wrong, he was serious when it counted; in his love for us children, in his trust in the Lord.

Just last week when I called my step mother to check on dad I told her he would probably go out with a joke. My brother called this morning and told me that Joyce (our step mother) said that dad kept his sense of humor up to the end.

In that first photo we both look so serious, what really happened was a photographer that kept forgetting to tell us all to "say cheese". In the second, I don't recall what dad was saying to me but that is just a classic "dad moment", him saying something to make me laugh.

When I saw him in January one of the first things he said to me (through a drugged haze) was "Did you drive all the way up here?" I said, "Sure I did!" and he replied, "And you didn't kill anybody?".

My brother told me that while he was visiting last week there were times that they weren't sure that dad was "with them" and at one of those moments my step mother leaned over and asked dad, "Do you know who I am?" and dad's reply was "Rumplestiltskin?".

What a guy. I've never known anyone smarter...he was a whiz no matter what he was doing. He seemed to know the answers to everything. You couldn't win a brain-based game (like Trivial Pursuit or Boggle) against him if you had Einstein on your team. He was strong. Just 3 years ago he came to visit and we all left a particular restaurant about a mile away from my house at the same time. I took off walking pushing a stroller and he and Joyce and a couple of my kids went in his Suburban (dad always had a Suburban). I got to the park we were meeting at near my home and everyone but dad was there. They let me know he went to catch up with me. Several minutes later, there he was, RUNNING in our direction. He had run nearly the whole way and proceeded to tell me about a marathon he had been in when I was younger that I didn't remember.

I could go on and on...I am so heartbroken I can't even relate it now.

Yes, he is not suffering, yes, he is with our Lord. I just wish it hadn't happened this soon.

One thing we agreed on when I saw him last was this; when you think to yourself "I have time" just remember...you don't know if you do. Carpe diem and all that.


For any of my dear friends reading this that got my email early this morning with the time of death wrong-please forgive me-my mom is a dear but often gets "details" mixed up. My brother called this morning and gave me all the particulars.

21 comments:

dalene said...

Hugs and prayers--

Dalene

eyes_only4him said...

again, I am so sorry for you loss..

my prayers are with you my dear

KFarmer said...

prayers, hugs and lots of luv-

Melanie said...

I am in tears. What a beautiful tribute to your dad. May God comfort you.

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

'Love you, Anne dear.

trusty getto said...

So sorry, Anne. I know how much he meant to you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Anne. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Deb R said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Shannon akaMonty said...

My deepest sympathies on your loss.

(Mamacita said to come here, and she is the boss of me)

You'll be in my prayers today.

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

My father passed away Jan. 31 of cancer.

I will pray for you. Be glad you have family to support you. God Bless. (Mamacita sent me.)

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Very unfortunate, Anne, but you do at least have good memories. (Mamacita sent me, by the way.)

Anonymous said...

I cried so hard reading this. I'm sorry for your loss.

-d (www.prettypurpleprincess.net)

Annie said...

I too lost my dad just about a year and a half ago. I feel your pain.
The funny things he did will definately comfort you. I am so sorry for you loss. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

What a vibrant and wonderful person he was! You are your father's daughter, indeed, Anne!!

Puck said...

As a dad, my biggest wish is to be loved - and remembered - the way you've stated it here; lovingly, fondly, bittersweet in recalling the humor and caring along with the pain of the loss.

As a dad of daughters, my biggest wish is that my girls go on to possess a heart as big and wonderful as your own. As a dad, I realize I play a big part in that wish.

My sincerest condolences and all my love.

shpprgrl said...

I'm sorry....

Heather said...

Oh Anne. That was just beautiful. How nice for your dad to know that he left behind a legacy of beautiful people. My sincerest condolences to you and your family. Thinking of you with big hugs!

Madley said...

Sent here via Mamacita... condolences to you and yours re: your dad.

Wishing you Peace.

Amerloc said...

Another here via Mamacita - not that that it matters other than the friend-of-a-friend thing.

Lost Dad some years ago. Miss him, revisit him still. Aspire to be half who he was. Hugs and prayers, probably in that order. I tend to reach before I think.

And tears, in memory of our fathers.

Anonymous said...

From the other side of the world, I send you a hug and my deepest condolences. Your story brought tears....

Jennifer said...

Oh, Anne, I'm so sorry. I'm so glad he left you with so many good memories, but I know you will miss him terribly. I'm thinking of you today (((HUGS)))