Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Veggie Wednesday: Very Veggie Egg Rolls


Very Veggie Egg Rolls
Very Veggie Egg Rolls

I adore egg rolls, and while I usually prefer the pork or shrimp kind, these all-vegetable version are just as satisfying - maybe even more-so knowing that there's no meat in them at all.

You can do the presentation like I've done here, by blanching julienned veggies and stacking before rolling, or do it the easy way by following this recipe.

Very Veggie Egg Rolls
Printable Recipe
Makes 24

1 small head cabbage - sliced thinly
1 large red pepper - seeded and diced small
1 small zucchini - diced small
1 large carrot - cut into thin matchsticks
8 ounces sno peas - diced small
1 bunch green onions - sliced thinly, tops included
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 package - 24 - egg roll wrappers
oil for frying

Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a large pan and add veggies. Cook over medium-high heat until soft. Add garlic, ginger, vinegar, soy and sesame oil. Cook until most liquid is evaporated.

Roll about 1/4 to 1/3 cup filling in an eggroll wrapper and cook in a deep fryer until golden brown or in a pan over medium-high heat, turning frequently, until golden.

11 comments:

Maria said...

I love the veggie version!! They look fantastic!

Kate said...

Stupid question of the day: Where does a person buy eggroll wrappers?

Those look/sound delicious, Anne!

Anne Coleman said...

Katiepooh - I find mine in the produce section of our store. Wegmans has them in the freezer and some other stores keep them in whatever ethnic section they might have. Hope that helps!

Maria - thank you!

Lo said...

I love making eggrolls! They freeze well too, so I always make a big batch for reheating later on... YUM. These look fabulous.

Truth said...

Can't wait to try these!

Anonymous said...

OH those look sooo good!

Kate said...

Thanks, Anniepooh!

We don't have a Wegman's here on the west coast, but I will check out the "ethnic section" and see if that's where eggroll wrappers are hiding.

I love the idea of making a bunch & freezing them for later, too. Yippee ~ something new for the family to try! :-)

whitneyingram said...

I too love me some egg rolls. Putting this recipe in my "recipes" bookmark file.

Karee said...

These look delicious and I know my kids would love them. I might add a little cooked chicken when I make them.

I recently found your website, and I love it. I'm in California but spent 3 years in Orefield near Allentown and love and miss the Lehigh Valley.

Thanks for the recipes!

Michelle Rittler said...

These look great, Anne! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Do you think you'd be able to make these ahead of time and keep them in the freezer, to pull them out, as you need or want them?

Anne Coleman said...

Michelle - I would think so! They never last long enough here :)