Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Bacon in the Budget


Bacon Pancakes - recipe below


Bacon is quickly taking on a role as the new chocolate as of late and I'm on that wagon, for sure. Bacon lovers are coming 'out of the closet' with a fervor and I'm more than happy to join the ranks of newly outted pork belly fanatics whether it's PC or not.

However (come on, there has to be a 'however' here) bacon is expensive and not-so-good for a person's health. What to do? Bacon ends. I'm not talking the fat-only type, and don't let your butcher get away with handing that to you, I'm talking the kind with a good amount of meat still on them and all the flavor of the more picture-perfect slices. There are many areas where you can actually purchase boxes of bacon ends for your freezer. If you don't have that available, ask at the meat counter.

Here's the health part; it doesn't take a lot of bacon to get a good bacon flavor. Take those ends and cook them up until crisp. Drain well and crumble into bacon bits. While you're at it, save the bacon grease for other uses. Strain out the cooked bits of bacon and freeze the leftover drippings in small containers. It only takes a tablespoon or so to add flavor to soups, stews, casseroles and gravies.

This recipe is for Bacon Pancakes. In a family as large as ours, the bacon budget can get out of hand rather quickly. To have all the flavor without all the cost, try crumbling bacon right into the pancakes as they cook. Everyone in the family loves these.

Bacon Pancakes
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

1 recipe pancake batter (use whatever you really like - my favorite is still the BH&G New Cookbook basic recipe)
1/2 pound bacon cooked crisp and crumbled

Ladle pancake batter onto hot griddle in the amount desired (1/3 cup works well) and top with crumbled bacon. Flip when bubbles appear on surface of pancake and edges are dry.


You can always mix the bacon right into the batter, but I find that the bacon that rests on the bottom of the pan gets too done that way.

Other Bacon Recipes:

Bacon at Cooking with Anne
Bacon at A Thousand Soups


More on Meal Planning and Budgeting
:

More on Food Budgeting
Budget Meal Planning
What's For Dinner?

P.S. Check out Cooking with Anne and Short Order Mom on Parentdish.com today!

15 comments:

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Love this idea. I didn;t know about the bacon ends either. Need to look for them!

Anonymous said...

WOW. That's decadent. I've used bacon in biscuits, but never pancakes. I'd have to pour on the maple syrup of course.

Anne Coleman said...

Judy, you won't be sorry!

Kelly - you bet we did - it's just hard to see in the photo. Mmm - mm -mm

Midwest Mom said...

Anne,

You have now taken up residence in the pantheon of my husband's favorite cooks. There is nothing like combining his two favorite foods -- bacon and pancakes. If we lived closer, I'd have to stop him from sneaking over to your house on a Saturday morning.

The idea about bacon ends is great. My mother used to do the same thing with ham ends or shanks, using small bits to flavor other dishes.

The brainwashed side of me probably won't make use of the grease, though, even though my parents and grandparents used to do it as a matter of habit. My mother's old 1960s metal canister set has one labeled flour, sugar, and a small one labeled "grease". We all know what that was for! Save the drippings!

Thanks for another great recipe! - Julia

Anne Coleman said...

Julia - HAHA! My mom had one, too - for years. It had a little strainer in the top to catch all the bits of cooked 'whatever'. They saved ANY grease in that thing. Mom chucked hers, though. I only save bacon grease and only for making roux in sauces, soups etc. The other stuff - no way - it sat out all week!

Anonymous said...

Oh YUM!!! I have to try this ~ I think my kids would be thrilled.

I've never heard of bacon ends, either. Thanks for that tip!

And congrats on your parentdish article ~ that was neat! :-)

~Katiepooh

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Oh no, you didn't!!!! Instant love=)

Anonymous said...

I totally, totally agree with you about bacon, you don't need the fat, & when you fry it off it's just as nice crunchy!
I will give the pancakes a whirl this weekend, I know the kids will love them, thank you ;0)

kat said...

We have a saying in our house that the only thing better than bacon is more bacon. We're going to try to make our own this year which will be interesting

Adopted Son said...

Mmmmmmm bacon pancakes. Baconey goodness in pancakes.

KFarmer said...

Ah bacon, the candy of meat! :)

Anne Coleman said...

K! That is the best comment ever. I had to share that one with people on Twitter. I'll be over to check up on you soon. Miss you, dear.

Bobby - is baconey a word? Spell check doesn't like it :)

Katiepooh! That's all I have to say - make me happy to see you here :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,
My good friend showed me your site as my husband is like her, a bacon addict! Then I saw you are from the LV! I was born and raised in Emmaus and have been out here for 8 years but miss home! We have 6 children, and the dog. Your blog is well done. Many blessings to you and your family!
brenda

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this recipe! When I go camping, I usually have a hungry crew of bacon lovers, and this will be absolutely certain to hit the spot. :)

Rumela said...

Hey those Bacon pancakes look yummi, I love eating breakfast and always try new fast food recipes. I would love to try the bacon pancakes for breakfast. that looks tasty. bacon pancakes can make a satisfying breakfast. The Photos are amazing... I am already feeling hungry. thank you for shearing your post.