Saturday, March 07, 2009

Bacon Pie


Bacon Pie
Bacon Pie

Bacon pie, it turns out, may be just a joke. Dear George asked if I ever made bacon pie - my response was, "What's that?" He told me he had friends who talked about a pie that was popular in Upstate New York and made it out to be the best stuff going. The only reference I could find online was at an urban dictionary - something about it being consumed with root beer. I also consulted Mr. Dave, author of Ridiculous Food Society of Upstate New York and he told me the only pie he could recall having was more akin to the Bisquick 'Impossible Pie' type and served with gravy rather than having gravy in the pie. Oh, and Dave has more bacon recipes than a person should and each one looks heart-stoppingly delicious. And I do mean heart-stoppingly.

No matter, I came up with my own recipe based on what George told me, which was, "eggs, sausage, bacon and gravy". There are several other names I could think of for this pie like: Heart Attack Pie, Stroke-For-Sure Pie, Go-Broke-Quick Pie or Lard Butt Special, but I think for now we'll just go with Bacon Pie.

I had one child tell me, 'this should be a daily food here'. Yeah -- it's good. As always, eat at your own risk.

Bacon Pie



Bacon Pie
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

1/2 pound bacon - cut into small dice
1 pound breakfast sausage - cut into small chunks
12 eggs
1 double pie crust for 9-inch pie
flour
milk or water
salt and pepper to taste

Prepare pie dough and set aside. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat eggs well and cook until no longer runny (scrambled eggs - folks). Set aside in a large bowl.
Cook bacon and sausage in the same pan until the bacon is crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and put into the same bowl with the eggs.
Turn the heat to medium-low and add flour to the drippings - there should be about 1/2 cup of drippings to which you would add 3/4 cup flour. Whisk the flour into the drippings and slowly add water or milk (it really is just a preference here) until a thick gravy forms. Cook for several minutes to cook out any flour taste. Salt and pepper to taste.
Add eggs, sausage and bacon back into the gravy. Stir until everything is well coated.
Pour into the bottom pie crust, top with remaining dough and vent with a knife.
Bake for 30 minutes or until top is browned and filling is bubbling out the sides of the crust. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

Don't eat this more than once a year.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious. Great job you did coming up with a version though. I'm sure it's cornary-inducing delicious.

Lydia said...

Oh Man! I bet it would be good with shredded or diced, cooked potatoes, which would help stretch out the rest of the mixture a bit (i.e. make each slice less "painful" without compromising taste). Big yum factor here!

kat said...

Oh my gosh, bring it on!

Joie de vivre said...

Oh yeah...thank God for bacon.

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

LOL at Lard Butt Special!!!! This looks amazing!

Lagean Ellis said...

Please, don't hurt me, but I don't like bacon.
I do like your site and links though. I had fun looking around and can't wait to see more.
I am always trying new foods! I could live in the kitchen, whipping up concoctions!

KFarmer said...

Anne again with the "candy of meats?" :) You make my day sweets :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Anne

I´m victoria Guzman from Colombia, like you i have a blog about recipes, drnks and food.

I was reading this delicious recipe, and let me tell you something it looks great, a little bit big this meal, but as you said dont eat more than one per year. but it looks delicious.

I´d like to exchange recipes with you or link our blogs together to exchange more of our knowledge about good food.

thanks for that delicious recipe

Jenny Henny said...

My husband would LOVE this. My behind on the other hand.....

Lisa B. said...

I'm afraid I have to echo jenny... hubby would insist we have this once a week if I ever made it the first time. It looks soooooo good though. I might just have to do it.

BaconBaconBacon said...

So awesome! Thanks for providing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Bring on the bacon!!!! This is the morning heart attack we can enjoy.

Don Lee said...

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
This is the ultimate breakfast. I must have it.

Anonymous said...

Wow that is breakfast heaven...in a pie.

George Wacker said...

OH MY GOD. I did not think you could do this..... Wow. Wow is all I can say. THANK YOU!!!!!

baehr said...

Another option: http://tinyurl.com/cgb793

Less of a breakfast, granted, but just as likely to kill you before bedtime :)

Max mickle said...

I like this Bacon pie recipe. these Bacon pie are sure to taste great and are extremely nutritious as well. I am going to bake a batch for the holidays when my kids will be at home. I'll be sure that what they are eating is healthy.