Sunday, March 15, 2009

Grandma's 'Sketti


Grandma's Sketti
Grandma's Sketti

This is another of my grandmother's recipes that was never written down and never submitted to a church cookbook. She made it very often when we were younger and it was such a favorite of ours that when she didn't make it one of my brothers would get upset about the missing 'sketti.

This is a true comfort food to me. Each time I make it I'm transported to Grandma's summertime kitchen. The chef in me wants to embellish it; add garlic and Parmesan. If I did that, though, the flavor would change enough that it wouldn't be Grandma's and the comforting effect would be lost.

This was beef-a-roni way before it was ever a boxed or canned mainstream product and I refuse to call it goulash, no matter what everyone else says.

Grandma's 'Sketti
Printable Recipe

1 small onion - chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice (Grandma always used sodium-free because of dietary restrictions, I use the real deal)
2 cups uncooked macaroni (elbows) If you want specifics, Grandma used Mueller's.
salt and pepper to taste

Cook onion and beef together until beef is well browned. Drain any fat. Add tomato juice and macaroni. Cook over low heat, covered, until macaroni is tender about 10-12 minutes or so.

Serve with buttered bread and love.

15 comments:

Emily said...

This looks good! I've been looking for a good "sketti" recipe and have yet to find one! I'll be trying this !

Peter M said...

Anne, simmering a tomato juice down to a sauce yields delicious results!

Try it with a vegetable cocktail....even tastier!

hmb said...

This looks great! I'm still trying to figure out how I ever came across your blog but I'm so glad I did because everything looks so great!

Amerloc said...

Anne, that looks much like what Mom called "goulash": Of course, Mom wasn't Hungarian, she was mostly Welsh, but she was operating from a church cookbook that alternatively called it "casserole."

And, yeah. I still think the dishes on the table at a church supper are the best :)

Adopted Son said...

I'm weeping. We've tried to make this several times, and it just doesn't come out the same. I dont' think it's us, it's just that it isn't Grandma. ;(

Anne Coleman said...

Bobby - it's not the same - won't ever be, either! Maybe we should buy the no-salt tomato juice and see if that's it? I finally got the brownies right, though ;)

Whistle Britches said...

this looks suspiciously close to something my mom made.
i'll have to ask her.

giz said...

There's just something about gramma and the things we remember that come out of her kitchen.

Sara said...

This looks like great comfort food, I would have never thought to use tomato juice!

Adopted Son said...

OK. Wacky cake is one thing. Now, let's get serious. Bring on Grandma Foster's chocolate cake. And while you're at it, I'd like a nice side-tray of Nanaimo bars.

Lagean Ellis said...

We, too, call this ghoulash! It is wonderful!

chelsea499 said...

My mom called this macaroni and chop meat. Always was one of our favorites. In fact I think I will make it tomorrow for dinner!

sj said...

oh oh oh oh! this sounds JUST like something my Gramma used to make and I have never quite been able to replicate it... never used tomato juice though!!!!! OMG I am so excited! I tried spaghetti sauce watered down (cuz the flavor of what she made wasn't exactly spaghetti sauce) I tried a few different methods and they have always been lacking... but this might be it! I will try it and let you know. *muah* thank you!!!!

typeStyles said...

Great economical dinner. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Entire family actually ate it without any complaints. That rarely happens.

Anne Coleman said...

typestyles - Thanks so very much for stopping by and letting me know! Grandma would be happy :)