Sunday, January 04, 2009

Sunday Dinner: Chuck Roast

Chuck Roast
Chuck Roast
Chuck Roast
Potatoes
Carrots
Gravy
Green Salad with Tri-Colored Peppers
Dinner Rolls


I do believe chuck roast is one of the finest foods known to man. It fits my new 'slow' outlook on life and is well worth the wait. It absolutely takes me home - simple, delicious and hearty. I was able to pick up a boneless chuck pot roast for $1.99 a pound yesterday. That's a huge savings over what they normally cost, and right now I was very grateful for that find.

Chuck comes from the shoulder area of a steer and gets more exercise than the nether regions of the animal, so it can be tough if not cooked properly. Chuck benefits from a long slow roast in liquid, also known as braising. Add vegetables toward the end of cooking time for a one-pot meal you can't go wrong making.

Chuck Roast and Vegetables

Serves 8
Printable Recipes

One 4-pound boneless chuck pot roast
2 tablespoons oil
6 cloves garlic - chopped
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon large grind pepper
herbs such as thyme or rosemary - as desired
8 large potatoes
1 pound bag peeled baby carrots
flour

In a large roasting pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the roast and brown on all sides. This really only ensures flavor - it's been found that it does nothing to seal in juices. Top with salt, pepper, garlic and herbs. Add enough liquid to come about 1/3 of the way up the side of the roast. This can be beef stock or just plain water. I also sometimes add a tablespoon or so of tomato paste for extra flavor.

Roast, covered, in a 300 degree F oven for 2 1/2 hours. After that time, add the potatoes and carrots, recover and put back into the oven for another 1 1/2 hours - 4 hours total time. Remove from the oven and let stand, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove roast and vegetables and heat remaining liquid over high heat. Thicken with flour and water as necessary, adjust seasonings and serve with roast.

Your roast should be fork-tender and very easy to serve. There's no cutting involved, simply dole out large forkfuls of this along with the roasted veggies and plenty of gravy.

14 comments:

Peter M said...

Annie, this is the one time when I like "flaky"...lovely, rendered meat...looks awesome.

glamah16 said...

I just love this type of Sunday dinner.

kat said...

A perfect warm dinner for a cold winter night

Chris Casey said...

Almost makes me want to bite the screen. Not to be off topic, but I can'y help but wonder why every time I hear or read the words "Chuck Roast" I think of some guy named Chuck burning in Hell. Hmmmmm.

Anne Coleman said...

Peter, Glamah, Kat - Thank you!

Casey, bad, bad joke!

Karen said...

Yummy, comfort, the best dinner there is!

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

This makes me think of those childhood Sunday dinners, with Mom in a checked apron with embroidered birds on the pockets. It also makes me hungry, and I think I'll stop at Marsh on my way home and see if they've got any good cuts of meat on sale today.

Jess Kiley said...

I was wondering over the weekend if you have any cookbooks by Alice Waters. And speaking of tough roasts, as Pioneer Woman recommends, if it's tough cook it longer.

Some people think they've overcooked it if it's tough, when really, it just needs another hour or two in the oven. Love you culinarians!

Anonymous said...

Your recipe sounds delicious. I don't eat much meat - just like other things more.

But the flavor of chuck roast (my Mother used to make it) is really good.

I wonder if you could adapt that recipe to a crock pot.

Cas

Adopted Son said...

I want this for dinner. Now.

Anonymous said...

We often have this on Sunday's as well. I have never been able to take a good roast pic, but you did a great job here. Yum!

Unknown said...

Annie, If you add a piece of old cheddar cheese the kind that got really hard and almost brown it gives an incredible extra flavor to the roast. Can't make chuck roast anymore without it.

SubieSeven said...

Thanks for the Chuck Roast cooking info- trying to do more with less these days. Very nice Blog.

Small and Moody said...

I love your recipe!!! Thanks for posting it. I've made this twice now and I love it!