Saturday, December 13, 2008

Constant Comment Muffins


Everyone has heard of the popular Bigelow tea, Constant Comment. To be perfectly honest, bad pun intended, it's not my cup of tea. In fact, if it were the only tea on earth, I simply wouldn't drink tea. My family, however, are all quite enamored with the amber brew and drink it like there's no tomorrow. There's no accounting for palates being passed on, is there?

At any rate, when I was devising muffins for my most recent Family.com post (Morning Muffins) I decided to see if I could come up with a muffin that would taste like the tea my family so adores. These are those muffins.

Constant Comment Muffins
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

1 cup sour milk
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 teaspoon orange zest
3/4 cup oat flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon apple pie spice (allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg)
1 cup instant oats
1 cup finely diced apple

Combine milk, orange juice, sugar, oil, extract, egg and zest. Blend well. Sift wheat flour, oat flour, spice, soda and powder. Add to wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in oats and apple. Pour into greased muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees F for or until tops spring back when touched.

11 comments:

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

How clever of you! I thought you were making the muffins using the tea but this is soooo much better. They taste like the tea!

Lori said...

I've never tried this tea, but now you've got me curious, so I'll have to :)

Michele said...

I love Constant Comment tea...but the only time that I drink it is when it is below zero outside and we are in a middle of a snowstorm. I never thin to drink it at any other time besides wicked winter days.

The muffins sound fabulous. :-)

mr coffee said...

thats my "family" tea... what we all drank when we were sick..back in the day

Reeni said...

I was disappointed in the constant comment, the flavor wasn't strong enough for me. But the flavor in these muffins are scrumptious! What did your family think?

CraftyCarole said...

sorry I'm with the rest of your gang. I love that tea! Thanks for the muffin recipe... looks like a vacation try! And btw.. thanks for sharing your daughter ;-)

Cathy said...

I'm one of those people who loves Constant Comment. It was a treat when I was growing up. Yum.

Kokko said...

Hi, nice to meet you.
I have never drunk the tea.
The muffin's picture seems to be delicious, so I want to eat those muffins!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! that seems to be a great recipe.I love muffins. I will definitely bake a batch this weekend.

abigail wenderson said...

Amazing, totally loved the recipe, adding this to one of my favourites.

abigail wenderson said...

Amazing, totally loved the recipe, adding this to one of my favourites.