Saturday, November 29, 2008

Daring Bakers' Challenge: Caramel Cake with Caramelized Butter Frosting



This month's Daring Bakers' Challenge is hosted by Shuna Fish Lydon of Eggbeater with her Caramel Cake with Caramelized Butter Frosting, as published on Bay Area Bites - full recipe HERE. There was also an optional challenge: Golden Vanilla Bean Caramels from Pure Dessert by Alice Medrich, Artisan Press, Copyright 2007, ISBN: 978-1579652111.

Co-hosting with Shuna are Alex (Brownie of the Blondie and Brownie duo), Jenny of Foray into Food, and for the gluten-free options, Natalie of Gluten-a-Go-Go.

I decided to use the caramels as a decoration for my cake, and although we haven't eaten ours yet, the cake smelled so good when it was baking that I was having to hold the kids back. Caramel is one of my husband's favorite things and he can't wait to get his fork on this one!


I think it went together really easily, the cake baked perfectly and the icing was a real pleasure to work with. I can tell you that the caramels themselves are delightful.

19 comments:

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

That looks so beautiful. What a great idea for the caramels!!! You never fail to amaze me!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Yum!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great looking cake! I love the pretty decorations!

Cheers,

Rosa

Marija said...

Your cake is so cute! Wonderful!

Reeni said...

What a gorgeous cake! Caramel from top to bottom, it doesn't get any better than that. YUM!

Gretchen Noelle said...

I love the caramel circles on top. What a delightful looking cake!

Anonymous said...

Very yummy! can I have one of the pieces, I mean thank you very much for putting up this picture along with the post. I appreciate it.

Pilar - Lechuza said...

I've seen this caramel cake in some other blogs, but yours is definitely the cutest one!!
regards

kat said...

I don't know how you can hold off eating that cake! Its so yummy. I love your caramel decorations

maybelle's mom said...

I can't believe you haven't eaten it yet. Serious willpower.

Ruth Strong said...

Great work on this month's challenge - love how you decorated

chilly said...

Oh boy, that looks good! Been getting a sweet tooth building up lately and this just may do the trick. :-)

Hi Anne!
Have a great week and keep the good eats coming! ;-)

Anna said...

I love that you used the actual caramels to decorate! Gorgeous!

Blah Society said...

Anne,

Your blog should come with a free gym membership. Every time I read it, I have to eat!

giz said...

Really beautiful Anne. I'm sure it's just a faint memory by now.

Unknown said...

I do love the caramel decorations! I do hope that y'all loved it!

Sweet Cheeks said...

I keep seeing this cake on different blogs and I WANT IT! This is one of the prettiest

Anonymous said...

love caramel cakes, specially this one

Anonymous said...

My! My! That looks amazing.... and totally yummy!