Monday, November 03, 2008

Supernoots - The Smart Way to Kid Nutrition


Do you have mealtime struggles with your kids? Are they (and you) stuck in a rut of not-so-nutritious foods? I know my kids have all gone through this phase and it's one of the most difficult parts of parenting.

Enter Supernoots! This totally unique method is a sure-fire solution to your mealtime woes. Don't take it from me, though, here's what Lori Liakonis, owner of Supernoots has to say about how this awesome program came to be:


First of all, my name is Lori Liakonis, and I am a former teacher and now WAHM of a five-year old and two-year old twins.

The idea for SuperNoots began with a struggle to get my son, Nicholas, to eat healthy food. Up until age 3 1/2, Nicholas had always eaten most of what I put in front of him. As he discovered the world of chicken nuggets, chips and mac and cheese, however, mealtime and snacktime turned into stressful events. For both of us!

Since 'eating healthy' was not a battle I was prepared to lose, I came up with an idea and sketched it onto a paper napkin. My dear friend Victoria, who is an amazing graphic designer, breathed color and life into my pencil drawings, and SuperNoots was born.

So, what is SuperNoots? Two things. First, an interactive shopping list, which is a dry-erase list of healthy foods that kids can use over and over again. Second, a magnetic food chart that helps kids keep track of their daily nutrition.

THE BIG IDEA IS THAT KIDS USE THE SHOPPING LIST TO CHOOSE THEIR OWN FOODS, PARENTS BUY THE FOOD, THEN KIDS USE THEIR CHART AS NOT ONLY A GUIDE FOR WHAT TO EAT, BUT AS A FUN MOTIVATOR.

The first time Nicholas made his own food choices on the shopping list, then saw his food in the refrigerator and pantry, he received an amazing boost of independence and empowerment. This is what truly makes SuperNoots special, because when kids associate eating with positive feelings at a young age, those feelings are likely to stay with them for years to come.

What started out as a problem-solving solution has turned into an amazing passion project for me. I feel like this business is a dream come true, and meeting wonderful people like Anne, who share the vision of helping kids eat healthy, is just icing on the cake, so to speak :) Thank you for taking the time to read about SuperNoots!


You can find Supernoots online at www.supernoots.com. Give it a look and see if you don't think this is the best idea for kids and nutrition ever.

2 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Thanks! I will have to try this as I have one picky six year old son.

KFarmer said...

What a wonderful idea! I really didn't have trouble w/my kids. I fixed their plates and if they didn't eat it, no PIE! :)