Thursday, January 31, 2008

Product Review: Perdue Perfect Portions



Let's talk chicken. I was given the chance to review PERDUE® PERFECT PORTIONS® Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, (which come in 7 different flavors) and I jumped at it. The selling point being "fast and even cooking" sounded like something I could really use.

I picked up the
All Natural packages, fettuccine, Alfredo sauce and frozen broccoli. I figured if I was going to see if these chicken breasts really lived up to their name I would cook up one of the fastest, but flavorful, meals I know of.

Before you get to thinking that you can clean and portion your own chicken, think of the fact that it's a very time-consuming job; I know, I do my own all the time. But, there are those nights when I don't have the time at all to clean chicken and I haven't already gotten it done ahead of time and stored it in the freezer, and Tuesday night when we were at a doctor appointment for
hubby a little longer than expected, was one of those nights. I also don't have a kitchen scale, so I don't know for sure that my portions are all the same. PERDUE® PERFECT PORTIONS® are all 6 oz. no matter what, and they all look the same; no slightly square pieces that look like a deck of cards - the most often size recommended for a meat or poultry portion.

So, do they live up to their claim of 10 minute cooking time? You bet. This meal was about 20 minutes in the making. Set 2 pots of water on the stove to boil - one for pasta and one for broccoli- take the chicken from the refrigerator and unpackage it-they're each individually wrapped.



When the water is boiling, add the pasta to one and the broccoli to the other (turn the broccoli off in about 3 minutes or it will get completely mushy). Add the chicken breasts to a heated skillet with minced garlic and olive oil.
Cook each for 5 minutes a side - salt and pepper to taste.



Drain the pasta (fettuccine takes about 10-11 minutes for al dente) and, while still hot, toss with Alfredo sauce or my favorite
"minimalist" Alfredo, which is just as quick, and plate with a garlic chicken breast on top and broccoli.



The only things I would change would be that there was no recipe on the packaging or included within, and the price is a little steep for a family our size; $9.99 for 6 breasts, and since we need 2 packages, it could get costly for just the protein portion of our dinner. I do think they're a good deal, especially for people on diets or eating plans like Weight Watchers where portion control is key.


Product provided by Alona Cherkassky of Fleishman-Hillard, Inc.. This is not a paid product endorsement.

6 comments:

Whistle Britches said...

Question:
Do you have any interesting turnip recipes?

thankyouverymuch..

Anonymous said...

It sounds good. We're just a family of two, which makes it a bit more affordable.

Cas
What is minimalist alfredo?

Anne Coleman said...

Joe--Turnips? Hmmm...let me think on that one.

Cas-my bad! I meant to link it--went back and did so, and here:
Minimalist Alfredo

Basically just butter and Parmesan.

Anonymous said...

I love these for my lunch - I feed the kids their food, and make one of these for myself and put it on a salad. Helps me stay on track with my eating plan!

Unknown said...

Hi, nice review and my opinion is about the same. The price is a bit high, but I have found them in Shops here in New York on sale as low as $5.99.
That's when I buy them ;-)
I'll add a link to this on our new site soon.

http://ilovethecook.com

Anonymous said...

Sam's Club carries 10 pound bags of the chicken breasts for $22.80. Of course, they are frozen.