Friday, November 25, 2005

Tales of a Leaking Turkey

Yesterday went off with nary a hitch...almost.

If the things that occured in my kitchen occured in a clients kitchen, I surely would be out of business.

All was well on the kitchen-front when I peeked into the oven to check on the cornbread. I couldn't see it beneath the looming heft of my 20 lb turkey (the cornbread was on the lower rack) so I gently scooted the turkey over half an inch and the bottom of the roaster suddenly sprung a leak! (Note to self: Buy a REAL roaster for a large bird and never buy another disposable.)

I stared, mouth-agape, for a moment frantically searching my blonde brain for what to do. I needed something under there but definitely NOT the cornbread. I grabbed the cornbread pan to pull it out and immediately scraped the top of the bread across the top rack (ugh) and proceeded to find a flat but semi-deep pan. Almost every pan in the house was in use at that moment, dinner being a mere 30 minutes away. Luckily I had just finished emptying and washing a rectangular cake pan and got it under the big guy before too much of those all-too-precious juices were lost on the bottom of the oven.

Whew. After that everything went like clockwork but the sheer terror of the moment (it's a mortal sin in this household NOT to have gravy) stuck with me until I sat safely in my seat after having made sure everyone was served.

I so hope your day was wonderful; after the turkey incident we had a terrific time having a scavenger hunt and picking names for our annual Secret Santa.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

LOL But the professional that you are, you managed to take care of the situation, albeit with flatter cornbread and less gravy! ;)

Happy belated Thanksgiving, Anne!

dalene said...

Glad all turned out well. I was out of town at the in-laws for Thanksgiving, so I am cooking my own full-fleged T-day dinner tomorrow (I put myself through this every year we have Thanksgiving elsewhere--I just like to cook things the way I like them and I have to have leftovers.)

I just got the note about brining, and I'm debating it heavily, as it is almost midnight; I've been cleaning my neglected house all day and am just sooooo tired; and I have no idea at this instant what kind of pot or bowl I have that is large enough to hold my 20-lb. turkey. I also doubt I have room in my fridge--although it's likely cold enough outside to cover it good and leave it outside. Maybe I'll go whip up some brine.

Have a great holiday season!

Paula said...

I used a flimsy disposable for my 20 lb. turkey also, but I set it on a large cookie sheet for that reason! LOL Now I'm glad I did. Disposable pans are great--who needs more dishes to wash?

Glad it turned out OK!

Puck said...

Of course you pulled it off with aplomb - you're awesome!