Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Photos and Leftover Soup

Left out of my last post was the fact that my mother had fallen into Grandma's little white lie and believed that Grandma's brownies could only be made properly in certain pans; these are the very pans Grandma made those brownies in and then brought the pans with her when she moved here to Pa. with mom:


This is a Bake King pan - no info on that one since I forgot to ask Dad (he's in antiques).

This pan is a Crisco pan that Dad says is most likely from Depression Era through the 50's when giveaways with purchases were a big thing.

They are great pans, but way before I acquired them I was still making Grandma's brownies (the right way) in glass pans and other aluminum pans. They're very neat to have.

Leftovers? Who doesn't have them from Thanksgiving? Our favorite for leftovers from T-Day is this soup but think leftovers before you up and look for the exact ingredients. I've made this with leftover gravy thinned out instead of stock; leftover corn; leftover potatoes both mashed and whole - whatever I had on hand. It's hard to mess this one up - it's great no matter what!

Turkey Corn Chowder
Printable Recipe

4 slices bacon-diced
1/2c. celery-small dice
1/2c. onion-small dice
8c. stock-turkey or chicken
1 clove garlic
2c. peeled and diced potato
2c. chopped cooked turkey
1 can creamed corn
1/2 can whole kernel corn
1 bay leaf
1/2t. marjoram
1/2t. dill
to taste
roux~ 1/4c. flour 1/4c. oil

Saute bacon, celery, onion & garlic until translucent.
Add stock and potatoes-bring to a boil and reduce to simmer until potatoes are tender. Add corn, turkey, and seasonings. Simmer 20 min. Add roux in a thin stream-whisking constantly. Cook until thickened, remove bay leaf and serve.

8 comments:

eyes_only4him said...

I am too late..I threw my turkey out yesterday when i cleaned the fridge..damn it..

i must admit, I hate leftovers. I always throw them away..shame on me I know:)


That is a verycool pan too

Anne Coleman said...

Silly girl :o)~

Leftovers make the best soups! Well, some leftovers lol

KFarmer said...

I made soup w/the legs & wings of the old bird. It resembled wedding soup w/orzo/celery/onion. Not bad over some dressing :)

Puck said...

Is there anything you CANNOT do?!?!

My God, I'm sitting here looking at all my turkey leftovers wishing there was someone like you to guide me (OK, cook for me)!

Anne Coleman said...

I can't drive stick shift...

I'd come a'runnin' over if'n I could lol

If you can pay travel expenses I can give you a lesson!

Anne Coleman said...

Kfarmer-I never doubt your cooking skills.

You post some of the best stuff I've seen!

eyes_only4him said...

I love your ticker....I can never get those darn things on my site..I am a total horses ass when it comes to that..

I need a good recipe for chicken breast..hook me up

Anne Coleman said...

You asked for it lol

Blogspot templates are so touchy-everything wants to rearrange-I had to play around until the ticker went where I wanted it to.

Somedays I HATE HTML.