Friday, November 11, 2005

Frustration Cooking

I'm having a frustrating (yes, we'll stick with that word rather than what I would really like to say) day. I never realized before that I don't eat when I'm upset, I cook.

Some write, some clean, some exercise~different catharses for different people, mine is cooking.

I woke up in a mood after having gone to sleep in a mood and as soon as I got home from the daily school drop-off I started culinary creations.

I'm in the midst of egg rolls and crab rangoon and I just whipped up a fairly tame tapenade. I really could almost care less whether I eat any or not, I just felt the need to do something besides sit and stew myself.

What is your catharsis?

Pork Egg Rolls

Printable Recipe

1 lb ground pork
1 1/2 c shredded cabbage
4 green onions-sliced
3 T vegetable oil
1 c bean sprouts-chopped
2 garlic clove-minced
2 to 3 T soy sauce
refrigerated egg roll wrappers

In a large skillet, cook pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
Remove pork with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same skillet,
stir-fry cabbage and onions in oil until crisp-tender. Add bean sprouts,
garlic, soy sauce, and reserved pork; stir fry 4 minutes longer or until liquid
has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
Position egg roll wrappers with a corner facing you. Spoon 1/3 cup
pork mixture on the bottom third of each wrapper. Fold a bottom corner over
filling; fold sides over filling toward center. Moisten top corner with
water; roll up tightly to seal. In a skillet, heat 1 inch of oil
to 375F. Fry egg rolls for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden
brown. Drain on paper towels.


Crab Rangoon
Trader Vic's Recipe

1/4 lb. crab meat
1/4 lb. cream cheese
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
Dash garlic powder
1 (12 oz.) pkg. won ton wrappers
Oil
1 egg yolk, beaten

Chop up the crab meat and mix it with the cream cheese, A-1 Sauce and garlic
powder. Place 1/2 tsp. of the mixture. In the center of a won ton wrapper.
Moisten the edges with egg yolk and join the two opposite corners, making a
triangle. Twist the ends to seal. Repeat with the remaining won ton
wrappers. Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet over medium heat and fry the
packets until delicately browned, about one minute per side.

8 comments:

Melanie said...

Oooo! I LOVE crab rangoon! Send some my way, please!

My catharsis? Probably reading.

Babette said...

Your family might start to enjoy seeing you upset, what with these delicacies!

Hot power yoga!!

Puck said...

I can never visit your blog without drooling - take that as you will...

My latest catharsis: running my dog!

KFarmer said...

I just wanted to let you know the girls and I made your Wedding Soup this week-end and there is not a drop left! Delicious!

Catharsis: gardening (digging in the dirt/pulling weeds/raking, etc.)

Anne Coleman said...

Melanie-if I lived near I'd run some right over! Didn't last long, my teens got to it!

Bonnie-I wouldn't put it past them to do things on purpose to make me upset :o)

Nino dear-you had better be talking about the food!

KFarmer-I'm SO glad you enjoyed it-I'm getting a hankering again myself!

Michelle said...

Damn girl! Will you PLEASE come live with me? :-)

My catharsis: Talking to my best friend or reading. (Well, okay, there's the whole dark chocolate thing too, but shhhhh!)

Anne Coleman said...

OK 'Chellie but you need to get mucho rooms ready! :o)

I won't tell about chocolate if you won't--but hey--you're allowed 2oz a day of the dark stuff and you can validly claim it's for your heart!

Now...where are those Dove bars?

dalene said...

Don't you just love the latest reasearch on chocolate? I never liked chocolate till I went to Belgium and France and tried the real thing. Mmmmmm.

My catharsis is quilting. When I can't deal anymore I shut myself away in a tiny laundry/quilting room and work on one of the numerous projects on my to-do list. I used to find solace in gardening, but it's kind of hard to get into it now that I can't kneel. My other great escape is to get lost in a good book.

P.S. Anne--I know it was ages ago, but I finally tagged you back:)

my word verification was lzynoel. Wouldn't it be fun to have a lazy Christmas season?