Sunday, November 27, 2005

Grandma's Favorites

Just before Grandma fell ill I made a batch of her famous brownies and was going to blog them. I also wanted to add to that the recipe for her favorite cookies. Life happens though, and I found myself unable to even approach the subject of Grandma without great pain.

Life goes on also and I want to share these two recipes.

Grandma's Brownies
A perfect batch of grandma's brownies.



The brownies my Grandma made are like no other I have ever had. These are truly "gooey" and absolutely sinful. Grandma knew this and even though she shared her recipe she failed to mention, on purpose, the one thing that made them so wonderful.

Grandma's Brownies
They don't get more moist than this!

I was surprised to hear my mother tell me this since Grandma was so sweet and lovable, and a true Christian woman. But, like the rest of us, Grandma had flaws and one was that she knew how much everyone loved these brownies and she knew that if they all knew how to make them, they wouldn't need her to do it. Grandma loved being needed. I guess that isn't really a flaw after all.


Grandma's Brownies
Gooey brownie love.

Grandma Sharp's Brownies
Printable Recipe

In two 8x8 baking pans (metal is preferable) melt 1 stick of margarine each. You can use butter but the texture will change.

In a medium bowl mix together 2 cups sugar and 2 T cocoa (grandma means SERVING spoon so, about 1/2 cup or slightly more). Add melted butter and 4 eggs. Blend well and add lastly 1 cup flour and 2 cups mini marshmallows.

Blend and divide equally among the already-buttered pans.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until puffy and slightly browned on top.


The amount of baking time is key--if they go too long-forget the goo--they will just be brownies and THAT is the part that my dear Grandmother always forgot to mention. She would act surprised "Why, I don't know why they got so hard!". Silly Sharpie :o)

The next is a recipe for Confetti Cookies that originally came from Juanita Searfoss, Grandma's niece. When Grandma was not feeling well, these cookies were the only thing she could tolerate. I made them innumerable times over the last 12 years for her and she never tired of them. They have never tasted exactly the same to me as they did when I was a child but then, many things are that way.
Here is the story that goes with them: http://www.cookingwithanne.com/2009/06/grandmas-confetti-cookies.html

Confetti Cookies
Confetti Cookies


These are similar to Mexican Wedding cookies.

Confetti Drops
Mrs C.L. Searfoss
Printable Recipe

1 c spry (shortening)
2 c flour
6 T sugar
1/4 c milk
1 oz confetti candy (multi-colored non-pareils)
1 t vanilla or almond extract
1/4 t salt
red food coloring
powdered sugar

Mix shortening and sugar and salt. Add red food coloring to milk so it distributes well-ebough so the dough will be a pretty pink. Add extract to milk also. Add flour alternately with milk. Add confetti and mix well so it gets throughout the dough.

Roll into 1" balls and flatten slightly on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Do not let them brown!
The original recipe says to roll them in powdered sugar while warm but I always wind up with a sticky mess if I do this so I let them cool first.

5 comments:

KFarmer said...

Wanted you to know the egg rolls were a sucess for the party! They were gobbled down so fast, my head was spinning-

Also printed out the brownie recipe-sounds wonderful!

Anne Coleman said...

You're such a loyal "fan"! LOL Thanks for posting back after you've tried something-I really appreciate it :o)

eyes_only4him said...

Hi anne,

I need you to come cook for me..your recpies sound wonderful..i would pass some of mine on to you, but um..ahh, oh yeah I suck at baking:-)

thanks for stopping by anne, please come by anytime..I am always open for buisness..

and i need to come back here when i can find a pen and paper and write this brownie thing down

Anne Coleman said...

Yes you do! These are to DIE for....Grandma's....gotta love em.

You DO NOT suck at baking! I saw your pies and they looked AWESOME-besides, you wouldn't have eaten so much if they were bad ;o) lol

Anne Coleman said...

I hope you did make them! Man, what if Grandma wasn't fibbing and they just don't work for others?

Ack! Let me know lol