Sunday, August 02, 2009

Cherry Upside-Down Cake

Cherry Upside-Down Cake
Cherries aren't one of my favorites, but they are for a few of the kids,  so I make cherry pies and turnovers for them. I love Bing cherries of the fresh variety, though, and I picked up some this past week.

Nobody seemed interested in them besides me, so I devised a yummy dessert in which to 'dispose' of them. Even I liked this, which is saying a lot as I really don't like cooked cherries in any form.

We like ours with a smaller cake, but the recipe doubles very easily if you'd like more cake-to-fruit ratio.

Cherry Upside-Down Cake
Makes One 10" round cake
Printable Recipe

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg - lightly beaten
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons butter - softened
1/4 cup light brown sugar - packed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
35 to 45 fresh cherries - pitted and halved

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a 10" round cake pan.
Place halved and pitted cherries, cut side up, into the bottom of the cake pan. Blend brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over cherries. Set aside.
Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and blend well. Stir together flour and baking powder and add to egg mixture. Drop evenly over top of cherries - this is a thick dough that can not be poured.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and gently invert onto a large plate.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh girl I LOVE cherries! I have a ton of sour cherries in my fridge waiting to be used :) This looks delicious!

Jennifer said...

Great cake!!!!! No one in my family will eat cherries alone either.. only if in something! This is perfect!! :)

Deborah Dowd said...

Hate to gang up on you Anne but I am with Meghan and Marty on this! I love cherries but have never thought of using them this way!

chow and chatter said...

lovely cake

kat said...

The hubs loves his cherries being from cherry country in MI. He would so love this cake

Mold Remediation Prince George\'s County, MD said...

mmm such a good cake!

<3 Lindsay

Kristen said...

I love rustic cakes the best. Something more primal about eating them, though I have to admit by this time of the year I am getting a little tired of cherries ;) just makes me crave them more next summer.

CNO NATURA said...

hummm deve ser delicioso... me da um pedaço kkk